fungal growth on lenses

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
No
if there is slight fungal growth inside a lens is there anyway of stopping it from getting any worse..or is it genrally buggered

kev

It's usually storage conditions which cause fungal growth - it thrives in dark humid conditions. Ultra violet light will kill the spores and stop further growth, so exposing it to daylight is the best way to stop it.

Camera equipment is best stored in a normally heated and ventilated room and leaving it in dark cupboards and bags can be enough to to kick off the problem. I store my gear in a glass cabinet where it gets plenty of daylight during the day. Ikea do one which is pretty cheap.

The lens may not be buggered if you catch it early enough, and it may be possible to get it stripped and cleaned, although in extreme cases the fungus can etch the glass surface of the lens.

Ikea do one which is pretty cheap.

Any name or reference code as I'm looking for something like this?

Ta:)

Any name or reference code as I'm looking for something like this?

Ta:)

This is the one I have -the Detolf at £39.90, although there are some other options there for you too. It's a flat pack jobby as you'd expect from Ikea.

CLICK

Even a fairly bad infestation of fungus won't degrade images too much although it can increase flare. It's also almost impossible to completely get rid of it, even if the lens is stripped down and any cemented elements are unglued - if even one spore escapes, it can breed!

Following CT's advice RE storage is a good idea - and all equipment benefits from regular use.

I learned a bitter lesson once, when after a days pheasant shooting in pouring rain I put a wet shotgun in a gunslip and zipped it up. About 4 hours later which represented the obligatory time in the pub and the drive home, I took the gun out of the slip to find it red with rust! It cost me a lot of money to get it sorted out.

If your camera gets wet then don't put it in a sealed case, leave it on the car seat or get someone to have it on their lap where there's a circularion of air and it can dry gradually.

This is the one I have -the Detolf at £39.90, although there are some other options there for you too. It's a flat pack jobby as you'd expect from Ikea.

CLICK

Thanks for that:)

NO probs - just be aware that being mostly glass, the flatpack is heavy! You'll need a hand with it.

Back