Critique Fyrish Monument - Scottish Highlands

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Despite the rain on Saturday I headed up to the top of Fyrish Hill just off the A9 near the Cromarty Firth.

It rained hard for most of the climb and I waited for about 20 minutes before the sun broke through and produced the kind of light that makes these wet walks worth it -was even treated to a double rainbow! Only lasted 5 minutes but what a 5 minutes.

Here are a selection of the shots - be nice to have your thoughts (good or bad) and to know which is the winner. I'm planning having one printed for someone to whom this place is very special so would be nice to hear opinion. Thanks

1. Fyrish - 1 of 5 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

2. Fyrish 2 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

3. Fyrish 3 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

4. Fyrish Nr 4 by Michael Carver Photography, on Flickr

For anyone interested - here is a link to the history of the site - http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/scots-monuments-fyrish-monument-1-3044571

Last edited:
Very nice set of images. Well worth the walk for such lovely light.

I have seen images of the place.

I'll vote for number 3. Nice light, colours and details.

I like number 1 too with an interresting composition and some background element which tell more about the place but i think 3 wins for the colours.

What a great place and nice set of photo.

3 for me. The light at the front makes it. 1 and 2 personally needed a bit more time with the shutter open, but my preference is for a brighter image than those, but many would differ. I can see the effect you wanted but I'd still just lift them a bit. 3 just has it with the light on the ruins and foliage and I'll be honest is just easier to see and the clear by a mile winner

4 hasn't got the golden light on the ruins. I might have done some composites here. I'd have taken one normal exp with golden light on the ruin them merged in the moving sky.

Last edited:
That light was certainly worth waiting for. Personally, my winner is #1 as it has drama and strong composition. For me the other three are good in parts but not as a whole, if that makes sense. It's certainly a location I'd like to visit if I ever manage to get north of Tore roundabout again.

Thanks everyone - I think 3 is my own favourite. The foreground in two lets it down a little, its also a little noisy in the dark sky areas - I had to up the ISO to freeze the grasses blowing in the wind but retain a small aperture for depth - on reflection maybe an exposure blend would have work - that said, there would be no fun in that :) Its a good point about the lack of light on the structure in 4 - this was my last shot of the night and the sun had dipped below another hill close by before the clouds started to take on any colour - might try a composite, thats a good idea.

I'd not heard of this place, very photogenic. I wasn't keen on the dark pool in the foregound of the first, and there doesn't seem to be much compositional effort to linkk the areas together. I really like the light and the rainbow in number 2; perhaps the foreground does let it down a little, alhough there are some nice textures there. Just a little crop off the bottom perhaps? I'm not t all keen on the long exposure treatment in 4. However no 3 is really very very nice indeed. the foreground really works, the light is great, and there are lots of leading lines around to help me explore it. Great shot!

I'd not heard of this place, very photogenic. I wasn't keen on the dark pool in the foregound of the first, and there doesn't seem to be much compositional effort to linkk the areas together. I really like the light and the rainbow in number 2; perhaps the foreground does let it down a little, alhough there are some nice textures there. Just a little crop off the bottom perhaps? I'm not t all keen on the long exposure treatment in 4. However no 3 is really very very nice indeed. the foreground really works, the light is great, and there are lots of leading lines around to help me explore it. Great shot!

Thanks Chris - appreciate you taking a little time to give your thoughts. I had tried to use the blowing direction of the grass in one, maybe unsuccessfully.

3 for me, though I'd be proud of em all! 3 Just screams Highlands at you, I lke the last one too as it's quite arty, that landscape however needs no long exposure magic, the place itself is the magic...

My personal preference is number 1. Because when I look at this picture I can feel it what just happened there. I can imagine that was astonishing views and play of lights.
Picture 2 would be my second choice but if would be shoot from different angle, different frame, different place.

Back