G10 or not G10

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
The G10 looks an impressive piece of kit for a compact but many of the reviews voice disappointment in the lack of saturation of the .jpg files. As the camera is to be used by both me and the Missus, and she will tend to use DPOF, do those of you who have this camera find that there is disappointment to be had or are you happy with the results?

Alternatively, what recommendations could you chaps offer for an alternative compact with a viewfinder and offering a good level of control.

Budget is up to £450

I recently added a G10 to my line up, and can't say I've noticed the lack of saturation! I still need to tone things down for my liking - that said, many of the compacts really ramp this up far too much for my liking.

I never shoot jpegs, so I can't comment on the lack of saturation, but I can tell you that the viewfinder on the G10 is a waste of space, as was the one on the G9. To be honest,if a decent viewfinder is a must-have then I think you'll struggle to find any compact that meets your needs...

It's the presence of a viewfinder that really matters but I will pay that particular attention when I go and have a hands on with it. Thank you for the heads up.

I think the main problem with the g10 is the poor performance at ISO 200 and up. It gets VERY noisy.

It's very different using a camera without a viewfinder but most people would get used to it after a while. It makes you look like a beginner, which can be an advantage!

Also it is an INCREDIBLY complex camera. You don't get a paper manual, but its quite scary if you delve into all the features.

Pano LX-3 with accessory viewfinder fits your budget, and a lot of people on here adore that little thing. It seems to be either that or the G10. I've not tried it with the viewfinder, but it does look like a very nice idea :)

I think the main problem with the g10 is the poor performance at ISO 200 and up. It gets VERY noisy.

It's very different using a camera without a viewfinder but most people would get used to it after a while. It makes you look like a beginner, which can be an advantage!

Also it is an INCREDIBLY complex camera. You don't get a paper manual, but its quite scary if you delve into all the features.

I'd have to disagree there, I haven't found it either noisy or complex :shrug:

I'd have to disagree there, I haven't found it either noisy or complex :shrug:

I'd have to second that view - the G10 is a fine compact, with lots of options but it's not particularly noisy, and while it's fully featured, the interface is actually well done in my book.

The lack of a manual is my main gripe, but that's only because I wanted to read the thing on the plane after buying! Once I got the camera powered-up, it's straight forward enough.

My other issue is the IQ does not match up to that of the SLR for general purpose shooting and so I still tend to end up leaving it at home and lugging the main gear around - no shock revelation there, but I'm just not using it as much as I thought I would.

***** UPDATE *****

Whilst I was considering the G10, I told the wife that I was considering the Ixus 100 IS as I knew she would blow a gasket if I told her I was considering £400+ for a compact camera.

Today i went fishing with the boys and when I came home Mummy had a surprise for me. I now own an Ixus 100 IS.

All the reviews have pointed out that it's very noisy at 400 asa and up, due to the small sensor size. I'd suggest that at 200 ASA noise becomes noticeable.

The manual is almost 300 pages long! I rest my case.

Why does a 300 page manual make it an "INCREDIBLY complex?" I get the feeling you don't own one of these cameras, it's no more complex than an entry-level dslr.

Why does a 300 page manual make it an "INCREDIBLY complex?" I get the feeling you don't own one of these cameras, it's no more complex than an entry-level dslr.

Your feeling is incorrect, Flash, and as I don't own an entry level DSLR, I couldn't confirm your comparison.

I thought about quoting some of the functions of the g10 on here but life's too short.;)

Your feeling is incorrect, Flash, and as I don't own an entry level DSLR, I couldn't confirm your comparison.

I thought about quoting some of the functions of the g10 on here but life's too short.;)

Aww, go on...I've been up all night trying to figure out if I can fire wmd with mine, but for some reason it just appears to be a normal camera, did I miss a page in the manual? :shrug: :LOL:

I have to say that I love my G10. The results in good light have given me pictures that have printed up to A3 just fine. Yes, it's complex but not if you use it as a camera.

Our G9 is like this too. If you're going to use high ISOs IMO, you need to shoot in RAW and run it through Noise Ninja etc. to get a smooth result.

Just the price you pay for having a high resolution on a tiny sensor unfortunately :crying:

A.

i love my G10

noise is a bit of an issue, and yes the lx-3 is better, but only a tiny, tiny amount and for all the other features and bulk of the G10 its the winner for me.

the iso at 200 is noticeable, not VERY. and unless your blowing it up to A1 its not an issue, ive used mine at iso 800 and for a computer or internet image its fine.

i like the face it has a lot of on-board editing options, resize, colours, contrast etc, as im taking it traveling i dont have any software to edit, so i can resize it for net uploads etc.

oh and lol at hard to use, its an advanced high end, DSLR backup (in some cases) camera.

its not aimed at people that will think its "complicated" to be fair.

i love my g10 at low iso settings but above 400 its horifically noisy. the ability to shoot raw is very useful for me as the white balance is generally wrong as i use mine down a cave and its shooting from pitch black in manual with manual flashes.
when you are using it it feels much more solid than alot of other compacts i have used and having a hot shoe means that a small flash like the 270ex can be used which i have found invaluable

I don't think there's much doubt that any compact is going to be noisy at and above ISO400. Personally I'm having more problems trying to to avoid blown highlights with my G10 than avoiding ISO noise.

Back