GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) - are you affected ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Nothing too serious, but I was thinking about this last night. I'm not a pro (although did work as one for a short while), just a serious amateur, so I can't write any of my photographic purchases off against tax etc.

I've lost track and also shudder to think about how much equipment I've gone through over the past 10 years or so, but it's probably well over £10-£15k. Just wondering how many of the TPer's on here are affected by GAS ? As we know there is always a newer and better camera, lens or flash just round the corner or a new format altogether (thinking MILC for instance).

Whilst primarily a Nikon shooter (and have been for over 35 years), I've now really got into M4/3 and have in the past year spent a small fortune on getting a usable system up and running now with GH4, OMD-EM1 and GX7 bodies, but I must have purchased over a dozen lenses in the last year for M4/3 as I had to have it, only to sell most of them some months later due to non use (and always at a loss). Yes, I have it bad.

I've gone though the same with my Nikon stuff as well. I went from a D2Xs for instance, to a D3 (as it was the latest and greatest), to a D3s (as it was better) then onto a D4. Now whilst the D4 for example is absolutely superb and the best camera I've ever owned, are my photos any better than those taken with the D3, or has it made me a better photographer ? To answer the first, maybe no more than 10-15% are better (due to the improved low light performance), but the vast majority are very similar, and no, I don't think it's made me a better photographer. Now the D810 is the latest and greatest Nikon DSLR to own, and I'm looking at my D800 and thinking to myself noooooo......!!!! I actually think the D810 is a watershed for me, as at last it's made me realise that whilst no doubt a better camera that the 800 or the 800e, it would could me well over £1k to upgrade to this latest body, for an incremental increase in shooting ability for my style of photography (I know everyone's mileage will be different), so I've had to finally say to myself NO ! - the D800 is fabulous and the £1k is better in my back pocket.

Don't know about you lot, but when visiting TP, I nearly always within minutes gravitate to the classified section to see what else I could buy. So last night I decided to get all my photographic equipment out and was quite shocked to see what I've accumulated. For Nikon DSLR bodies for instance I have a D300S, D7100, D800 and D4 - I have 9 Nikon lenses (ranging from 16mm to 300mm), a Tamron 150-600 super zoom, , 3 Nikon converters, 3 Nikon Speed lights, various remotes and other accessories. For my M4/3 I have the above mentioned 3 bodies along with 7 lenses and a Panasonic flash. To say I have more than enough is an understatement !

So, I am now seeking help for my GAS with the aid of my wife, who is only too happy to stop me spending :LOL::LOL: . I know feel a lot better knowing that I'm not chasing equipment for equipment sake, and can at last get on with the real task of actually taking photos. To re-enforce this, I've been looking at a number of images in the various Photo Genres here on TP, and many of the very best shots are taken on equipment that's at least 2 or 3 generation older than current and they are still fabulous.

Is anyone else like me and has seen the light, or am I just one very sad individual with too much spare cash and no life :D

Last edited:
The cure is usually the Missus..................:)

My name is Nod and I have GAS (and gas but that's a discussion for the beans thread!!!)

Gradually getting it under control by feeding it a little and settling for what I now have. Of course, there's always a new bit of kit that I lust after but by applying the law of diminishing returns, I now think for a lot longer before trying and buying. I dread to think how much I have "invested" in photographic kit and don't plan on totting it up! Just need a longer zoom for the X series Fujis and that'll be me pretty much sorted. Although an X30 might be nice.

Oooooh! Shiny new toys! Must have!

I like buying new toys but now I temper it with " how will it benefit my photography and do I need it or just want it?" Also how much trouble will it cause me with SWMBO.

Purchases that improved my photography - samyang 85 f1.4, lencarta lights, d800, creative cloud.

I have a wish list - sigma 35 f1.4 and an af 85 f1.4. I can wait for those as the 35 I don't need at the mo and I have a manual focus 85 f1.4

I try new things instead of buying big stuff now - so lately tried high magnification macro with the raynox on the end of a macro lens and the brenizer methods with the 85 f1.4.

I now ask if I've got the best out of my gear before I think about moving on.......it'll be a while before I upgrade the d800!

That''s a good mantra to adopt Shaheed, "does my current gear limit my photography" ? For some people (especially working pros) maybe yes, but I guess for most amateurs, the answer would probably be no ?

That''s a good mantra to adopt Shaheed, "does my current gear limit my photography" ? For some people (especially working pros) maybe yes, but I guess for most amateurs, the answer would probably be no ?

By my own quote, the 85 f1.4 does limit me in terms of not having autofocus - given my subject matter is mainly kids - BUT I can't justify spending the beys part of 1k on the nikkor version. Plus I'm waiting for the sigma update!

Would I like a D3s/D4s - absolutely for the low light capabilities and AF - if I won the lottery then yes, but it's a want not a need and with better knowledge/technique the d800 would be perfectly adequate for my needs!

Im absolutly shocking, my paypal transactions sine February this year amount to £42,000, i buy and sell stuff like theres no tomorrow, so much so that i often get bank and paypal transfers stopped for checking, but ive just got my kit down to 2 cameras and 2 lenses and it will stay like that for a while, im poorly in the head but getting better.

We had a new members introduction evening at my photo club last night, where new members talk a bit about their photographic history and show a few examples of their work.

One person stood up and said he was given a camera by his father and started taking photos, which started his interest in photography.
He decided he wanted to take better photos so he bought a better camera, the quality was better but his photos were lousy.
He then bought an even better camera and the result was even better quality lousy photos.
Eventually(!) he decided that he needed to learn how to take better photos, rather than keep buying better equipment.

A situation I think many people can relate to...

Bloody hell Gary ............. I think you have just been promoted to group therapy leader :LOL::LOL:

Well at least I'm not alone !

Bloody hell Gary ............. I think you have just been promoted to group therapy leader :LOL::LOL:

Well at least I'm not alone !
In the last few years i must have had 2 x D4's, 10 x D3S's 6 x D800's 6 x D700's, 2 x D600, 1 X D7100, 3 x 400mm f/2.8 VRII's 6 x 16-35mm f/4 VR's 3 x 70-200mm f/2.8 6 Tamron 28-75mm, 6 Tamron 24-135mm and on and on.

The cure is x100(s/t).

I know it's another camera, but bear with me. Ever since I bought the x100, I've not had the strong urge to buy anything for my the DSLR stuff. 5D mark 3? nah, too heavy. x100s? same camera. x-t1? no perfect lens. x100 has been the perfect camera and lens combo, it works wonderfully on its own. It is able to cover 90% of all my photography needs as well as freeing my shoulder from the weight and bulk of lenses. It's so refreshing.

In fact, with the DSLR seeing so little action, I'm actually thinking of selling my whole Canon kit. Just keeping my x100 and the wonderful Billingham bag as an everyday bag. In my opinion, Nikon's DF advert is written for x100: pure photography, no lens confusions, no menu systems and no PASM rubbish. Just set aperture, shutter speed, ISO and shoot.

Yes and no, though taking a quick stock check of 'stuff' that I have for hobbies (music, golf, photography)' it's mostly yes... :(

Having had GAS with just about every hobby I've ever had, I spent a year with a Fuji X100, never took any other camera out of the house, my photography improved no end, and even though now I have a couple of other Fuji bodies and a few lenses, I look at new equipment, and even though I may lust after it, I do stop and think, would I use it....and then think would I use it often ....... I think I may have cured myself, so I recommend purchasing an X100 to everyone!!!!

In the last few years i must have had 2 x D4's, 10 x D3S's 6 x D800's 6 x D700's, 2 x D600, 1 X D7100, 3 x 400mm f/2.8 VRII's 6 x 16-35mm f/4 VR's 3 x 70-200mm f/2.8 6 Tamron 28-75mm, 6 Tamron 24-135mm and on and on.

You missed a Df out of that list ;-)

I've had a spurt of GAS this summer as I've come into some exyra money but think I've got it under control now I have everything I want.

Only think I might change now is swap my 70-200 2.8 for a 4 as I think the 2.8 isn't doing my dodgy shoulders any good.

Last edited:
You missed a Df out of that list ;-)

I've had a spurt of GAS this summer as I've come into some exyra money but think I've got it under control now I have everything I want.

Only think I might change now is swap my 70-200 2.8 for a 4 as I think the 2.8 isn't doing my dodgy shoulders any good.
Ha, youre right but that went straight back as did one of the D600's because of AF issues

Maybe not as bad as some, but I definitely suffer from it now and then. Bought a string of advanced compacts because I was reading all the reviews and then it kicked in, y'know - the 'need'! :D

End up selling a lot of the gear I buy months, later because I don't use them after the novelty wears off.

Been restraining myself lately with all the snazzy new models incoming, also holding back looking up on new lens reviews, because I know I'll suddenly want them too! And I know I do not need them in any way right now.

It's not just a photography thing either, those affected will feel the need for the latest of any type of gear - phones, tablets, PCs and/or parts ... I know a guy who has G.A.S for bikes and bike parts. He'll spend 3K on a racing bike, then start looking to upgrades on gear cogs and disc brakes etc ... because there's always something better. I think he has 4 bikes currently and a shed full of spares, some still in box.

After reading some of these posts I don't appear to have GAS that I thought I had

The cure is x100(s/t).

I know it's another camera, but bear with me. Ever since I bought the x100, I've not had the strong urge to buy anything for my the DSLR stuff. 5D mark 3? nah, too heavy. x100s? same camera. x-t1? no perfect lens. x100 has been the perfect camera and lens combo, it works wonderfully on its own. It is able to cover 90% of all my photography needs as well as freeing my shoulder from the weight and bulk of lenses. It's so refreshing.

In fact, with the DSLR seeing so little action, I'm actually thinking of selling my whole Canon kit. Just keeping my x100 and the wonderful Billingham bag as an everyday bag. In my opinion, Nikon's DF advert is written for x100: pure photography, no lens confusions, no menu systems and no PASM rubbish. Just set aperture, shutter speed, ISO and shoot.

The X-T1 paired with the 18-135 is what's keeping my GAS under control at the moment. Covers almost all my needs and even a good few of my wants! Could be tempted by an X100 of some sort but don't really even WANT a fixed lens compact let alone need one! TBH, the baby XF-1 covers most of my needs and slips neatly into almost any pocket without giving an unsightly bulge.

I used to be bad I think I went through about 5 bodies in 3 years at one point when I went from Sony A300 to Sony A700 then to an Olympue EP1/EP2, then Olympus EM5 which I then swapped for a Fuji X-Pro 1 before going back to a DSLR in the SOny A77.

In the last 18 months I've gone from a D7000 to a D800 via 2x D600's (due to the oil spot issue).

I'm happier with my D800 and 24-70 f2.8 than I have been any camera I've had I think and while I often consider a back-up or smaller companion I'm quite happy to keep the D800 (not even tempted by the D810)

Been fairly static on lenses too, just the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and Sigma 100-300 f4 this year and they compliment quite well, I probably had more GAS when I stuck to purely primes.

That said I have bought a few bits of support kit, ND Grads anda new wireless remote but these are "cheap" compared to bodies and lenses!

Especially as you already have one Nod... ;)

Other than old film instamatics, the only fixed lens (as in fixed prime) compact I have is the little Minox which is bulkier than the XF!

Over the last six months I've been thinking hard about what equipment I need and what I will use. I've worked out I can can only use one lens at a time so why have so many lenses and cameras, trying to carry too much equipment is a pain too. I'm soon to be down to a wide angle, 105mm macro and telephoto zoom, all have their use and cover the focal ranges I'm likely to use for wildlife and landscapes. I've even let go of my 70-200 f2.8 which is one of the best lens I've ever owned, a hard decision but it won't get used enough to justify having it. It's nice when you get so money back in the bank rather than it sitting a cupboard unused.

I've found the easiest way for curing GAS is if you buy something new then you sell items on of a similar value. If you do ever cure GAS the post office is going to lose a lot of money!

I have a fairly mild case of GAS. Started out severe, but have over time, been able to keep it under control.

I will never be cured but I am "at peace with myself" as I know it is helping the economy :D

We had a new members introduction evening at my photo club last night, where new members talk a bit about their photographic history and show a few examples of their work.

One person stood up and said he was given a camera by his father and started taking photos, which started his interest in photography.
He decided he wanted to take better photos so he bought a better camera, the quality was better but his photos were lousy.
He then bought an even better camera and the result was even better quality lousy photos.
Eventually(!) he decided that he needed to learn how to take better photos, rather than keep buying better equipment.

A situation I think many people can relate to...

Having very little gear or lots has never affected the way i take photos,i have watched a few video/TV programs on very famous photographer and they always have tons of gear lying around their studio/homes :)

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt with regards GAS... :D

Thankfully I've finally settled on my camera of choice and got the main lenses I want for now.. Although that still doesn't stop me delving into the Classifieds and talking myself into and out of any X100s that appears on there... Lol

In a lot of circumstances the more you upgrade the more you need

e.g. longer lens = better tripod, better gimbal and heads, better bags and carrying equipment ……. and the same at the other end with macros ….. lens, then further lens, flash, reversing, extension tubes, etc., and additional equipment.

consumer lens to pro lens are a natural progressional and no one or even three lenses will "fit all"

If you are a Leica street shooter with an M9 and 35mm then maybe that's fine, or the same with an X100.

If you are "collector" of old camera models, well that's not GAS

Last edited:
Back