GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) - are you affected ?

The GAS valve in my brain is currently telling me the reason I don't take many pictures is because my gear is too big and I don't take it anywhere, so it won't let me rest until I have the smallest camera in the world in the belief this will solve the issue.

The M43 stuff I have can't get much smaller - just bought and sold a GX7 as it was too big, want to sell my GX1 - so if I stick with M43 the GM5 with 12-32 is looking favorite.

But then I will still have lens decisions to make and so it will start all over again.

So I am seriously considering an x100s (or T) or an RX100 so I don't have any lens choices to irritate my GAS either.

Just a camera to take photos with....none of the worry about what lenses to buy or never having the right lens with you issues and small enough to be with me always.

Ok, so if I had the RX100, it would clearly be small enough and could be carried everywhere I went and I wouldn't have to worry about what lens to take - would I actually get it out and take pictures? probably not :(

Remember that conversation we had last Saturday we had about cars while you were spending money on my D4, well im now another £20,000 lighter and it gets delivered at 10am this morning LOL

Oooh, what did you take delivery of? Will keep my eye out and give you a wave, as I'm not far from you I believe (temporarily Birky, while my place on UBL is finished).

Oh, you're far from alone - I've the best kit I can afford, but have recently started up with MFT (EM10) and am amazed just how close it is to the 5D3 - sure not quite there but I think its only me and other photographers that would notice.

For me its been a bit of a revelation and the old Canon gear is slowly wandering off - although being replaced with MFT stuff - thankfully as I don;t get on with manual much theres not that many lenses I want on the MFT side - only the 12-40 2.8 and maybe the 60mm macro, but after that I think I'm good (I really hope!!)

Getting a d750 and that'll hopefully be me done for a few years.

Cars are a different story... Ordering a new one this week:D

Just a camera to take photos with....none of the worry about what lenses to buy or never having the right lens with you issues and small enough to be with me always.

Ok, so if I had the RX100, it would clearly be small enough and could be carried everywhere I went and I wouldn't have to worry about what lens to take - would I actually get it out and take pictures? probably not :(

I saw your GX7 for sale and could hardly believe it. Anyway, I have similar issues... I don't get much time to myself and typically only get a few hours off a week. GF snaps away like mad and takes loads of pictures and movie clips with her iphone but my phone is old and crappy and the camera is woeful and I prefer a camera.

I love my A7 but it only goes out when I can be sure that I'm going to have the time to use it, ditto my GX7. When I do get time to myself the chances are that I'll use my G1 with an old manual lens although I'm thinking of getting a LX100 and having that as my main camera with the A7 for luxury time to myself use.

Maybe a smart phone and just one dedicated (small?) camera would be a sensible way forward for you?

I saw your GX7 for sale and could hardly believe it.

Losing £80 in a week seems a common theme recently (GX7, E-M1, 12-40 and 75mm all lost me similar amounts) - I may as well burn pound notes in the garden.

Maybe a smart phone and just one dedicated (small?) camera would be a sensible way forward for you?

My iPhone and an RX100 seems the logical choice for a while - I just need to step away from this ridiculous cycle of buying camera stuff and wasting money.

If I'm really honest, it is partly that the camera I want doesn't exist, coupled with the fact I am probably not as 'into' photography as I once was.

I also have another 'syndrome' - if I buy something I get all twitchy if I don't jump right in and use it the whole time. As soon as I put it in the cupboard, even for a few days, my brain tells me I may as well sell it as it's going to waste in there not being used.

If only I could connect buying and selling with 'wasting money' I think I'd be ok leaving something unused for a few days or weeks at a time :)

Of course, this could all be summed up by the word 'mental' (y)

My iPhone and an RX100 seems the logical choice for a while - I just need to step away from this ridiculous cycle of buying camera stuff and wasting money.

...Of course, this could all be summed up by the word 'mental' (y)

I think that a compactish camera with a reasonably wide aperture zoom, like the LX100, + a smallish interchangeable lens camera with a few basic lenses like 28, 50 and 85mm + a macro should be enough for me. I've been trying to get to that point for a while but I'm not there yet.

I don't know if the "mental" tag is really justified if you can afford the expenditure. Plenty of people smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble or waste money in other ways. If you have the money to spend on something and spend it on something less damaging than those things (like camera gear...) I think you're actually not doing too badly :D

The great thing about camera phones is that you can go on line and order new gear with them:)

Great phrase that...
Harmonising my gear.....

I'm bloody using that,:clap:excellent.

I suffer severely with it but never actually buy that much. I WANT it all but change my mind more often than my pants.
I nearly bought an Olympus OM DE M10 yesterday, had the demo in my hands, convinced myself that it may suit me better than the Lumix gx7 they didn't have in stock, then walked out£599.99 better off!!!!

I do keep looking at going from my D7000 to something smaller in the MFT range but keep convinincing myself i don't need to and to keep what i got unless i find it's really restricting me.

So I had a quick look at this thread when it started and have since been avoiding it. But as I am in the process of purchasing a foundation kit with a bigger stopper and lenses and have already bought a tripod off here this year, which I then had to buy a ball head for, and I bought a new sigma 150-500 this year, oh and a cheap brolly and stand, I thought I better come on here and confess my 'problem'.

Update: having recently decided that although I love my FF, I am missing the extra reach I had with my 60d. So this leaves me with 2 options. Longer lenses or another crop body to supplement my existing body or longer lenses. Given that for longer lenses I'm looking at amny £000's of pounds I think the body will win. Does anyone know if canon do any crop bodies designed for sport and wildlife ;)

In would say the 7D would be perfect for this job :), crop sensor with fast AF for sport and wildlife !

Back