Gateway to Chinatown

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Quick one from today. Needs a bit of work as I handheld 3 exposures.

278524260_a56a052b63_o.jpg

I really like that one - especially the postion you have captured the sun. Gives it quite a mystical feel.

Hmm. I'm not liking the hasrh black corners, nor how dark parts of the gate are (and the top of one house? :s).
I am however liking the contrast between the Chinese gate and Liverpudlian terracing. At first I wanted to say "get down low" - so as to give the gate a more defined shape against an uncluttered sky... But it already has enough defnition, and getting down low you'd lose the mentioned contrast.
Loving the sunburst, and what appears to be some awesome grain, too.

I love the image - the sunburst just "makes" it for me I think. Nice one. That's a mighty chunky lump of sensor dirt in the top right corner too! :LOL:

love it but i agree with hoodi that the corners seem a little too dark.

It was the biggest issue I had really, the dark corners. I wasn't 100% sure if they worked. I'll see if there's anything I can do. I think if I did get lower it would have a huge amount of distortion and I'd loose the sunburst. You have to give it up for HDR though. I'm shooting into the sun and yet its like I have a giant reflector to bounce the light back onto the gateway. I was blown away with the result.

CRW_4582-02.jpg

Thats the kind of thing you normally get. I love the HDR version because it brings out all the life and detail in the gateway, and the sunburst does indeed add a sort of spiritual feel to it. If I get time tomorrow I'll work on tweaking it.

Tbh Pete I'm not actually too keen on the HDRness of it, you seem to be going quite OTT with the HDR lately.
However, that's what you enjoy, and you seem to like it - so why not?

Cracking image Pete apart from the dark corners for me. (y)

I for one enjoy the HDR stuff you do.

I like it...a lot. A little too dark in the corners but otherwise it's fine... love the processing treatment as well...

Tbh Pete I'm not actually too keen on the HDRness of it, you seem to be going quite OTT with the HDR lately.
However, that's what you enjoy, and you seem to like it - so why not?

I have to admit that at the moment my train of thought is that HDR allows me to take photos that no-one else has taken. It allows me to show Liverpool in a completely new way and to me that means I'll stand out. Its 2006 and everyone has a camera. Everyone can take a similar shot from a similar angle. Most people when they see my work say they've never seen anything like it, which is exactly what I'm after. I might be going OTT but I'm in a rush and if the majority like it then thats fine by me :)

so, afer HDR what is there next?
tbh if you can come up with something original - HDR or not - it will be a winner regardless, and many of your non-hdr's are pretty good too :D

so, afer HDR what is there next?
tbh if you can come up with something original - HDR or not - it will be a winner regardless, and many of your non-hdr's are pretty good too :D
Back to film! ;) I'm not sure about after HDR. At the moment its pretty damn good at producing arty results or well balanced normal looking images. So you can use it to produce artwork or comercial images.

For what it's worth I'm not bored of HDR (I had forgotten what it was and had to look it up in wikipedia!). Now I remember Pete posted a tutorial about it a while back.

I think most people don't even know there is such a thing a Dynamic Range and would assume the shot is pretty much out of camera. Either way, it is a striking image. I, for one, love the black corners and they add to the surreal effect.

I keep going back to look at it. There are not many photos that make me do that...

the black around the first is really offputting. but that 2nd post further down is excellent!! :)

first one has a lot of impact, but the second one has more. very good!

first one has a lot of impact, but the second one has more. very good!

So on 2007:01:11 15:39:53 I'll reshoot it with HDR in mind and combine the impacts for a super impact of epic proportions... ;)

I am enjoying the pictures and the thread here.

I have already said that I like Pete's HDR work and I am one that is really bored with so many crap HDR images - just put HDR into Flickr and see some of the disastrous results of just HDRing an image.

The other important factor that Pete is pointing out is the commercial viability of such images. Not to be ignored.

IMG_8715-190_6-191_7-192.jpg

278524260_a56a052b63_o.jpg

Updated. Hmm hang on I think I missed a step, lol.

Untitled-1_2_3-21.jpg

Slightly more contrasty edit.

That last one does it for me.

I do like the black bordering effect thing you had going on, but I did think it was too OTT in the first version. I think it's just right on this last one :)

Just a thought. All these HDR style images, what *else* do you do to them in PP, apart from the HDRing? I'd love to know what other steps you have in your arsenal :)

Yeah last one is best so far and softening the dark edging has worked well too!

I'm not nearly so keen on this one as the Liver building shot. The horizontal bands bottom left don't really look right either. Really like the silhouette above though.

Think it's probably wires or something? Running through the clouds and starry things.

Ah yeah. Its the wires holding up the Xmas lights. Quite noticeable on an A4 print. I'll have to fix that :)

Back