Gaupa, Norwegian Lynx

Edit My Images
Yes
Wild Norwegian Lynx in its natural habitat, taken in the field with no fence between us:shake:
2641870305_ee719efcfe_o.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent composition and colours. Did you not look like lunch then?

Thanks RH, briefly there was a party of 20 of us that visited this place and was it was in the evening between about 9-11.30, although its light all night in Norway at this time of year, its still a strange soft sort of light, hard to describe really.
Anyway its a huge nature reserve for the native animals with miles and miles of fencing to allow the animals to roam free in lots of protected space, mainly from hunters.
When we all had a good look round as some of the animals come up to the fence, the guy in charge Erik the Viking said he would take one person with him into the Lynx section and would take the person in with the biggest camera, well i was the only one with a dslr camera, so no contest in i go with Erik, went through a double airlock type of gates, told not to make any sudden moves or noises ot have any things likes zips or toggles on my clothing hanging loose as cats being cats get interested in movement.

What a wonderful experience of a lifetime it was, standing about 15 - 20 feet away from 4 of them walking about and eyeing me up, so busy taking it all in i did not take any shots for about 5 minutes then remembered i had my camera with me, spent about 15 minutes total in there.
Sorry this is so long but its the only way i can explain the photo.

Another eating dinner, its reindeer on the menu today, but its only a road kill one, everytime one is killed on the roads its taken to the nature park to feed the wild animals
2618437878_ffd4f30cab_o.jpg

Thanks for sharing, brilliant.........(y)

Wonderfull experience. I used to live in Norway and have seen Lynx in a wildlife park (might even be the same place), but I would absolutely love to see and photograph Lynx in the wild. Just one thing with your shot; It seems very 'flat'. It would be nice to see some more contrast, especially pusing a bit more shadow into the shot. :)

Thanks all, MK i am not that up on pp, feel free to have a go, but as i said the light was really soft and difficult to get a `punchy` sort of shot straight out of the camera, especially when you are distracted by your underpants feeling a bit heavier than normal:)
The place is the Langedrag nature park in the Telemark area of Southern Norway

Edit
If you can read Norwegian Mk, there is an article in a Norwegian newspaper about about a guy who photographs Lynx in the wild
with a canon eos400, there are a couple of photos of a Lynx bringing down a sheep in it.
The web site is www.an.no (dont know how to post a link)
and scroll down the front page about half way

Last edited:
Wow, that's an amazing opportunity, and good pics too.

Interesting shots. As others say a little flat.

Can you really claim it is a "wild" Norwegian Lynx if it is fenced in and fed on roadkill?

As been said what a great opportunity Great poses, well caught(y)
a two minute edit, if you don't like it say so and its gone
copy_groucho.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting shots. As others say a little flat.

Can you really claim it is a "wild" Norwegian Lynx if it is fenced in and fed on roadkill?

I have only posted these photos to record the experience, rather than a fine example of the photographers art, bearing in mind the circumstances they were taken in with the adrenaline flowing and it was about 11pm in the evening, although still light it was a really soft light:)

As for describing them as wild, they are not tame and have hundreds of acres to roam in and i am sure their diet does not only consist of road kill, the road kill are only put in there close to the fence to bring them closer for the public to see.

You could always go in there yourself, to see if they really are wild though:D

Nice edit Cobra, thanks it does look better

I have only posted these photos to record the experience, rather than a fine example of the photographers art, bearing in mind the circumstances they were taken in with the adrenaline flowing and it was about 11pm in the evening, although still light it was a really soft light:)

As for describing them as wild, they are not tame and have hundreds of acres to roam in and i am sure their diet does not only consist of road kill, the road kill are only put in there close to the fence to bring them closer for the public to see.

You could always go in there yourself, to see if they really are wild though:D

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound harsh. Generally wild is used to mean animals that catch their own prey and are free to roam around without fences. Although I am not sure about Norwegian law, it is against EU law to feed live prey to fenced animals, no matter how large the enclosure (and brings ethical questions too). Hence my question about wild - was it a truly wild animal that was baited with roadkill or a captive. You've answered it is a captive. It doesn't make the pictures any better or worse, but it does mean it isn't wild. It certainly isn't tame, but it does appear to be habituated (it didn't run away) and contained.

I would love to visit. I've been in enclosures with some pretty wild stuff in my time but never a European lynx.

Of the pictures, I like 2 the best. The space around the animal works well and the low angle gives a feeling of intimacy with the cat.

Paul

GrumpyBadger
not being on here long and not really knowing the character of the long established members as yourself, to my mind it did seem a bit of a harsh comment to make, and i think i answered in the same tone, no harm done and everyone is happy again.

Or so i thought until i saw your little dig in your thread `Wild lion cubs`

The gist of whole thread was to convey the wonderful experience and feeling i had by being allowed in the Lynx for a short while and did not expect to be pulled up over one word i used that was not strictly correct, it certainly threw me as in general everybody seemed to be very friendly and easy going on here.

But i will bow to your superior knowledge in these matters and admit i should have altered the word `wild` to `unfettered lynx in large contained area of natural surroundings of forest`

Bye, wont be posting on here again.lifes too short:)

Toys, pram and throwing are three words that come to mind here.

I have gone through grumpybadger's posts and cannot find much wrong with them to be honest ... :shrug:

I guess that now you have no intention of coming back I am wasting my time typing this as well?

It is a shame but it is your loss .. :shake:

Back