Generation Juxtaposition

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this isn't your thing, but as soon as I looked back, I wanted to capture the scene. and when I got home I loved it.

The senior lady, further ahead on the path (of life), all wrapped up and conservative in appearance walking calmly with hands in pockets.
With the next generation striding in her footsteps, full of colour and making her fearless youthful statement.

I like the rear view because for me their clothes and the young girls hair says more than their faces, the only problem I guess is that you only know the lady ahead is quite senior because I saw them both front on and I can add that to the scene.
Anyway I like it, so decided to share it in case anyone else would enjoy the image.

015 07 03 23.jpg

I’ll be honest - as this is about telling a story with an image.

You’re seeing a story that just isn’t visible to the viewer.

The person (probably a woman) in front isn’t obviously ‘conservative’, in fact she’s wearing a red hat - you really need to understand the impact of a red item in a photo.

The woman behind isn’t particularly full of colour either, browns would be considered neutral tones, and there’s nothing that particularly shouts ‘young’ either. Probably younger than the person in front, but it’s a mile away from a juxtaposition IMHO.

I’ll be honest - as this is about telling a story with an image.

You’re seeing a story that just isn’t visible to the viewer.

The person (probably a woman) in front isn’t obviously ‘conservative’, in fact she’s wearing a red hat - you really need to understand the impact of a red item in a photo.

The woman behind isn’t particularly full of colour either, browns would be considered neutral tones, and there’s nothing that particularly shouts ‘young’ either. Probably younger than the person in front, but it’s a mile away from a juxtaposition IMHO.
Fair enough, as commented I had the advantage of seeing their faces so had more to go on than the photo. I totally get why it's not visible from the photo.

I understand neutral tones, but they are still powerful colours when an ensemble is intentionally put together to represent a strong individual look and fashion statement like the young girl has chosen.

I can wee why it doesn't work for you, but I just liked it a lot. Probably one I should have enjoyed to myself, but there you go.

I like it. I see exactly where you are coming from. The lady in front, mostly in grey, small steps, hands in pockets slightly bent over, looking laboured. The lady behind stepping out enthusiastically, upright and optomistic.
Even the setting is nice, the meandering path, leafless trees yet little shoots of green here and there. Both walking in to a fuzzy uncertaincy.
I'm probably talking rubbish but this does it for me. Well done Keith.

I like it. I see exactly where you are coming from. The lady in front, mostly in grey, small steps, hands in pockets slightly bent over, looking laboured. The lady behind stepping out enthusiastically, upright and optomistic.
Even the setting is nice, the meandering path, leafless trees yet little shoots of green here and there. Both walking in to a fuzzy uncertaincy.
I'm probably talking rubbish but this does it for me. Well done Keith.
Thanks David, glad someone likes it/gets it, it won't suit everyone though and I appreciate that.

I think it really needs the faces to make it work. Any reason you didn't trot ahead to get in a position where you could get them in? Or you could have asked them to pose?
It wasn't really practical to get ahead, the paths not as long as it probably looks.
I didn't really want to approach either of them so just snapped it from the rear, which won't work at all for many people and I can understand why.

I like the idea but I think there's something amiss with the picture or at least there may be something amiss on my screen. I don't know if it's been over sharpened or if it's a heavy crop and also the bokeh looks distracting rather than pleasing so I think the processing needs to be revisited. Sorry if it's just how it appears on my screen.

Other than that I like the idea and it is maybe something... an idea... to revisit again.

All in all well done :D

I like the idea but I think there's something amiss with the picture or at least there may be something amiss on my screen. I don't know if it's been over sharpened or if it's a heavy crop and also the bokeh looks distracting rather than pleasing so I think the processing needs to be revisited. Sorry if it's just how it appears on my screen.

Other than that I like the idea and it is maybe something... an idea... to revisit again.

All in all well done :D
Thanks for the encouragement Alan.
Cropped a bit and sharpened. Maybe it would have added something if the far subject was more OOF as in the original.

Seems to me the idea is good but the execution not so much. Not a criticism of you personally or as a togger, but your idea hasn't carried through to the picture without explanation.

So think about how you might pull this off next time. Don't get the hump, but learn from it.

Thanks for the encouragement Alan.
Cropped a bit and sharpened. Maybe it would have added something if the far subject was more OOF as in the original.

I think I'd back the sharpening off a bit and see how it looks.

I can't say for certain what it is I'm seeing but it does look to me like something has been overdone. Sometimes less is more. I do like the picture and I do see your point and all I'm looking at here is how it could be maybe a little better.

:D

Seems to me the idea is good but the execution not so much. Not a criticism of you personally or as a togger, but your idea hasn't carried through to the picture without explanation.

So think about how you might pull this off next time. Don't get the hump, but learn from it.
Thanks Toni, much appreciated.

Back