Giant Wood Wasp

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
This a close up not a macro shot as this was 40mm long

Edit (from wildlife trust)
The Horntail is also known as the 'Giant Wood Wasp' or 'Greater Horntail' and is a massive sawfly. A relative of the wasps, the female is black and yellow and has a long 'sting'; this is actually her ovipositor through which she lays her eggs into wood, especially pine. The larvae live in the wood of pine trees, where they spend up to five years developing. Found near pine woods, or places where pine timbers are used.

Giant-Wood-Wasp by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow that is BIG, shame you didnt want to get closer tho, its only a wasp.
Love the yelllow eyes (i think) on this wasp, fantasic (y)

Crumbs that's huge... a super shot Alf...I 'm definitely getting outside with the macro lens this week...so many brilliant shots on here lately, very inspiring. If I take about 500 I may get one good one :)

Thanks Susie
You have to get out and practice so keep at it while the weather is Ok

Wow that is BIG, shame you didnt want to get closer tho, its only a wasp.
Love the yelllow eyes (i think) on this wasp, fantasic (y)

Thanks Graham the yellow thing is not its eye the eyes are black.
They are harmless but I didnt get much time to get closer to her she was egg laying and I had other people around and I had to change lens and fit my flash and diffuser too.

Nice shot of this cool looking wasp.

Thanks Kurt

This despite its name is not a wasp but it is a sawfly. They are also know as greater horntails (Urocerus gigas) and are harmless.

Last edited:
What a wonderful looking beast.... would freak me out a little as the Ichneumon does as it buzzes past you head normally.

Awesome wasp. Lovely shots. Must hunt for one :)

Awesome wasp. Lovely shots. Must hunt for one :)

You need to look around pine woods apparently. As I said it is not a wasp really but a sawfly.

What a wonderful looking beast.... would freak me out a little as the Ichneumon does as it buzzes past you head normally.

Bryn
It is big but harmless.

What a stunner! I really want to find one of these now. Where's my nearest pine wood?

Amazing creature I thought that the yellow part on it's head was its eye until I read your post
excellent shot

Excellent shot. I've seen two so far in 40 years. I didn't know they were harmless. "Wood wasp" implies otherwise. They are huge compared to any other flying insect in ne scotland.

Zeppelins with wings!

Excellent shot. I've seen two so far in 40 years. I didn't know they were harmless. "Wood wasp" implies otherwise. They are huge compared to any other flying insect in ne scotland.

Zeppelins with wings!

A Zeppelin with wings is about right.

wow 40mm , It is big isn't it . I have never seen one before .

Back