Glasgow fine art

actually the modern ones don't do anything for me. I like modern, but not folded aluminium sheds... They would probably sue for using an image anyway. Old ones? - 3 or 4 good ones, with the university and kelvindale museum being the best. The only thing that saves the city is A82 and what is on the other end of it.

Which landfill sites in the city centre are you referring to?

The massive area around transport museum for example, and bits on the other side of railway line. There are plenty more... but not so obvious as these.

Which landfill sites in the city centre are you referring to?
I'd be interested too. Not been up there in a year or so, but I don't recall any landfill in the city centre. There's a big landfill site out East by the M74 if I recall correctly, but none in the city centre unless things have drastically changed.

I'd be interested too. Not been up there in a year or so, but I don't recall any landfill in the city centre. There's a big landfill site out East by the M74 if I recall correctly, but none in the city centre unless things have drastically changed.

I doesn't need to be signposted to qualify as a landfill. I think my fine art masterpieces proved that and some more.

I doesn't need to be signposted to qualify as a landfill. I think my fine art masterpieces proved that and some more.
I'm not sure you understand what landfill is.
Also, I could take pictures of scenes like yours in any large city in the UK.

I'm not sure you understand what landfill is.
Also, I could take pictures of scenes like yours in any large city in the UK.

Right in the centre? go on, I am more than interested now.

Right in the centre? go on, I am more than interested now.
Edinburgh City Centre

edinburgh.png

Will I go on?

In the last few years they have been redeveloping the riverside area. They have built the transport museum, the hydro and several housing developments. They can't do it all at once, so of course there are undeveloped sites.
Over the other side of the M8 is not what I'd call city centre though.

In the last few years they have been redeveloping the riverside area. They have built the transport museum, the hydro and several housing developments. They can't do it all at once, so of course there are undeveloped sites.
Over the other side of the M8 is not what I'd call city centre though.

Maybe it wasn't some day, but with your mentioned venues and the university it is now most certainly the centre. Maybe the metro circle is the centre if you prefer that definition.

Maybe it wasn't some day, but with your mentioned venues and the university it is now most certainly the centre. Maybe the metro circle is the centre if you prefer that definition.
I don't think the University and the riverside are the "side" of the M8 he was referring to.
The metro circle only has about three stops in the city centre (more if you count the West End); a lot of it takes in the southside (including some fairly run down areas - Ibrox, Kinning Park).

Come on, admit you were talking hogwash with the idea that Glasgow is the only city in the UK with undeveloped land in the city centre.

Last edited:
I don't think the University and the riverside are the "side" of the M8 he was referring to.
The metro circle only has about three stops in the city centre (more if you count the West End); a lot of it takes in the southside (including some fairly run down areas - Ibrox, Kinning Park).

Come on, admit you were talking hogwash with the idea that Glasgow is the only city in the UK with undeveloped land in the city centre.

Maybe not the only one (development is continuous process) but certainly an obvious one :)

Btw what is that foul smell around Clyde tunnel? @ST4 had a good explanation, but I thought I'd double check

Maybe not the only one (development is continuous process) but certainly an obvious one :)

Btw what is that foul smell around Clyde tunnel? @ST4 had a good explanation, but I thought I'd double check
I've never noticed any particularly bad smell around the Clyde Tunnel. The worst smelling part of Glasgow in my experience is near the landfill* in Mount Vernon near the M74. And also a small part of the Kelvin Walkway near Kelvinbridge.

*an actual landfill - which is a place where refuse is buried not just any undeveloped bit of land

Last edited:
actually the modern ones don't do anything for me. I like modern, but not folded aluminium sheds... They would probably sue for using an image anyway. Old ones? - 3 or 4 good ones, with the university and kelvindale museum being the best. The only thing that saves the city is A82 and what is on the other end of it.
House for an art lover, kelvingrove, university, city chambers, glasgow cathedral, wills factory, St Andrews in the square, school of art, templetons carpet factory, holmwood house, people's palace, Glasgow herald building, art house hotel, mitchell library. There's plenty more I'm sure.

I've never noticed any particularly bad smell around the Clyde Tunnel. The worst smelling part of Glasgow in my experience is near the landfill* in Mount Vernon near the M74. And also a small part of the Kelvin Walkway near Kelvinbridge.

*an actual landfill - which is a place where refuse is buried not just any undeveloped bit of land

Lidl just south of tunnel. It's a great store, beats Tesco for quality and prices, but the walk from the car to the door nearly ended up in throwing up the last few times. I don't know if it's the river in warm weather or something specific about tunnel.

The city centre runs from the high st in the east, across to the m8 Kingston bridge on the west.
The undeveloped land is not in the city centre.

House for an art lover, kelvingrove, university, city chambers, glasgow cathedral, wills factory, St Andrews in the square, school of art, templetons carpet factory, holmwood house, people's palace, Glasgow herald building, art house hotel, mitchell library. There's plenty more I'm sure.

The cathedral. Honestly I was shocked when I first saw it. Do you mean the black Anglican one in my image above? The catholic one is not that much better when you see the overly artistic art deco work inside.

Lidl just south of tunnel. It's a great store, beats Tesco for quality and prices, but the walk from the car to the door nearly ended up in throwing up the last few times. I don't know if it's the river in warm weather or something specific about tunnel.
Have you tried deodorant :p

The cathedral. Honestly I was shocked when I first saw it. Do you mean the black Anglican one in my image above? The catholic one is not that much better when you see the overly artistic art deco work inside.
I think the black on the Cathedral looks rather dramatic and unique, actually. It has a looming and foreboding presence, a bit like the presence of religion itself upon humankind.

I think I may stand in the next council elections if I stick around here for long enough :p The city needs a man with real imagination and fine art vision :)
And you think you have those qualities? Good luck, I think you'll need it. Better hope the voters don't read your comments on here.:D

And you think you have those qualities? Good luck, I think you'll need it. Better hope the voters don't read your comments on here.:D

If Borris can be the mayor on the other end of the island, I can do an even better job. It's not that difficult - demolitions, attract chinese and russian investment, talk a lot of nonsense, write reports, make life difficult for ordinary residents. I am capable of all of that

So it's Anglican now - I bet the Episcopalians will be a bit grumpy about head office moving directly on to their turf. Church of Scotland might be even more grumpy if squatters haved moved in.

sewage, stale water, lack of ventilation in the tunnel. Most tunnels are smelly. The clyde further into the city, is one of the few highlights IMHO,.

There are only a few. They've been detailed earlier in this thread.
Shawlands cross, Queens Park, Merchant City, Bellahouston Park & house for an art lover, Pollock Park, Glasgow Green, the whole of the city centre and west end (except, arguably, the area immediately West of Charing Cross), Kelvingrove Park, the Kelvin Walkway, Finnieston & Pacific Quay, the Forth & Clyde Canal, etc, etc...

Back