Critique Glasgow Riverfront: Colour or Mono

Mono for me but the contrast needs to be reduced a little. Just personal taste. :woot:

Reactions: ST4
Mono for me

Colour for me (y) I'm always amazed by the lack of noise when I look at images like this :clap: It doesn't matter how much I try, I always end up with noise :banghead:

How do you achieve such a 'clean' looking sky? :)

Colour for me (y) I'm always amazed by the lack of noise when I look at images like this :clap: It doesn't matter how much I try, I always end up with noise :banghead:

How do you achieve such a 'clean' looking sky? :)

There are two types of noise in a scene like this, camera noise, and light polution.

You can control light polution by shooting before dark on a clearish day. Noise wise, I will concede I am using a full frame camera (35mm format DSLR) processing from 14bit raw. I've still chosen to keep the ISO low (250) and lengthen my exposure (8 secs) at F11. PP here has been little, pulling back shadows really increases grain, or does on APSC RAW's in my experience. Off this you have room for manouver. Good quality glass (nikkor 24-70 F2.8) at F11 (full enough DoF) and still sharp. An older camera with smaller sensor just wouldnt perform as well as this.

Flirckr has completely killed the IQ. 100% view there is not a spec of grain and the edges of the building windows are so clearly defined. It looks rubbish on here compared to full screen view on a 27inch screen.

If you are interested try scrutanise my image off my webshop

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/sundown-reflections-on-the-clyde-stephen-taylor.html

Very hard to choose, I like both.
B&W maybe just creeps ahead for me.
Great work (y)

Another vote for colour from me. Nice capture. :D

Why compare or bother to choose a favourite,,,,, they are both good images and have differing good aspects using different criteria

Why compare or bother to choose a favourite,,,,, they are both good images and have differing good aspects using different criteria
I created the colour 1st. Then thought in a moment to do a mono. Now I like the mono but want feedback as doing a new website and need to pick content.

Plus it's an intestibg topic

Which do you want to use?,,,,,, it's your website,,

If it were my image I would experiment with editing using some of the mono image and some of the colour,,,, the nature of the subject would make that easy to do,, the results could be more striking than either of the other two

Last edited:
,, a quick edit,,,,,

The reality we perceive consists of the image we see with our eyes and the subconscious interpretation of that image.

When looking at either of the two images you have presented we might look and think "nice pic" and then move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Using both images together makes us look twice to make sense of it all

12969996295_216159d9e1_b.jpg

Last edited:
,,,,,, or for a bit more fun,,,,,,,, the image lends itself to another very quick edit

12970698064_74a45b2566_o.gif

Last edited:
I like your first edit Jools but that second one, no thanks :thinking:

The second edits a right laugh and a demonstration of skill with post production I don't have. If you can't have fun once in a while, when can you....

In a serious nore, does the completely still water detract, I personally love it and seek conditions like this out

I'm not a technically good photographer so I try to get something in the pic that makes it more than just an image. Still water is good for imparting a feeling of peace and quietness and for reflecting subjects,,, in the opposite way a stormy sea illustrates the fury and noise,,, dissipating and enhancing reflections and light in a way that editing cannot do.

Excuse me putting an image on your thread,,,,,,,

This is a canal-side snap,,,, I have several similar taken at the same time but they lack the foot! leaving the image without a feeling of scale. So the boot remains and (to me) the eye examines the leaves first and then the trees in the reflection and the floating leaves all helped by the strong diagonal line. It's just a quick snap taken with a compact but reminds me of an Autumn stroll on a quiet afternoon,,,,,,, and that justifies the image a place alongside my favourite images

6390540325_10cb16d12c_b.jpg

Last edited:

I agree with this.

The steel tower is a part of the science centre. Reckon I shouldn't include it?

Is it documentary shot and do you think it positively adds to the scene. I think the answers are both no but then it is not my image

Is it documentary shot and do you think it positively adds to the scene. I think the answers are both no but then it is not my image

It's just me, but I wouldn't remove something so fundamentally well known to the area and scene. The 1st question would be what happened to the tower? I might remove some floating crap out the river, seagull from the sky but not that.

Plus I like it. It's an impressive sight and IMHO the only pleasant bit in the whole city

Back