Glass attempt (still life)

Name
niki
Edit My Images
Yes
An attempt at still life glass :thinking:..something i find pretty difficult to master,but here is an attempt(my interpretation)with a bit of red to add interest.Not sure if it works for me to be honest(high key lighting)but im going to post anyway..hoping for some constructive critique..
thanks in advance.
Editing isnt done as yet(needs a bit of dodge or level tweak on the bdrop)

willsF.jpg

Last edited:
A nice idea, but it isn't quite working for me. Two points in particular:
  • There is very little definition between the glasses and the backgrouns, the edges are being lost. I wonder if champagne glasses would work better with the portrait orientation and break into the vacant space at the top?
  • The reflective surface is glass? there's a double reflection from the upper and lower surface of the pane.

The composition itself is interesting and has a lot of potential. With some better control of the light to keep the edges sharply defined it has a lot of potential.

Thankyou..i did think about the definition of the form of the glasses..and think the lighting put me off it to..but wow..i didnt take note of the 2 reflective surfaces in the bottom half..(thanku enormously for that ;)).I had the strobe and camera on lowest setting flash(manual )..i think it may have worked better with a continual one? (which i havnt got at home)..thanks again i shall reshoot this idea ;)

xxx

think i'l use a smaller aperture aswell,as there was quite alot of light in the strobe to get away with it i think.Tricky part of that is the reflections may be to much(the hope was to soften or eliminate them)
xx

Have you got a copy of Light, Science and Magic? It's the book I reach for from the shelf when doing still life, it's very good at how to control light to get the best from different surfaces. I don't think there's going to be an easy one-light solution for this shot.

No i havnt a copy of that book..it sounds good.All i get is tutorials from college..our assignment was an 8 week one(and the last of this years).We were shown a quicky in the studio..using the glass sheet as a surface and lighting the background low..to help diffuse the lighting and to eliminate abstraction.I have a lill home studio(4 strobes,soft box's,reflecters,snoots,barndoors ect)and used the strobe alone for this..didnt think to support the lighting with accessories.We'v had to cover studio and natrual lighting technices and surfaces ect..
im finding the glass difficult to get right tbh..
yes i did shoot in raw ;)
I will check that book out now ;)
i really appreciate the feed back guys ;)
x

If you have two black surfaces either side out of shot then the glass will pick that up by refraction and help define the glass edge. The technique is called 'black fill'

To be honest there is not a lot else I can really add on the above other than maybe it would improve it to add some liquid into the glasses :thinking:

On a purely temporary basis.. .. :whistle:

Hi niki
I'll give you the layman's take on this - well mine anyway.
After you've experimented with all the tech suggestions above, you may think about toning down the colour in the flower / using a more subtle pastel shaded flower, as I feel the colour here is too dominating.

thankyou..il definatly use the black card to refract the edges..il also try some liquid and a pastel flower..thanks for your suggestions,tips and feedback..
appreciated
niki
x

Back