Glencoe. Good enough to print ?

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
I'm the worst judge of what's a good photograph. I took this some time ago when travelling through Glencoe.

Will it make a good 24" x 16" print ? (Click to see it big)

i-gd83nm4-X2.jpg

Hmm, well it was taken in Scotland in late October under a stormy sky.

Do I 'push' the exposure levels to lighten it or leave it looking as I remember it ?

It looks awkwardly processed to me, granted that it was a difficult exposure in the first place. This is regardless of size. Apart from that. if you're concerned about resolution, it's impossible to judge that from the posted image with its limited pixel dimensions. If you're intent on taking it forward, try a low-priced 15" x 10" trial print (as can be routinely produced by many labs using a Fuji Frontier printer).

ps - I've just read the above post. Dullness isn't an issue - that's a truthful attribute of weather and place - so no, don't lighten it! Consider overall pixel dimensions, and whatever processing you might've applied ...

Last edited:
The sky looks blown and the rest looks under exposed to me

+1

The light is poor, and nothing will change that. Come back early on a good morning and it will look glorious.

Instead of your eye being drawn to the scenery, it homes straight in on the over exposed centre section of sky so as a wall print I don't think it would work too well

Also as the lighting is so poor making the shot 'dark' I've often found when getting shots printed they come back darker so be careful with who you use if you do get it printed

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

+1

The light is poor, and nothing will change that. Come back early on a good morning and it will look glorious.

I wish ! I was passing by on a 400 mile journey home, parked at the side of the road, left wife & dogs in the car and grabbed a few shots.

Seems an odd question to ask, Good enough to print?

Good enough to print for who, if you are thinking of getting it printed to sell then i would agree with the above comments about the poor light etc, and personally i don't think it would sell

If however you want it printed up for personal use (ie, hanging it in you home) then if you like the shot it is surely 'good enough'

I have many of my shots printed up and hung on my walls at home, non of which i would ever consider trying to sell as i know they aren't 'good enough', but myself and my other half enjoy them, so they are certainly good enough for us to print

Agree with Rich, if you like it, go for it.

Would also agree with the other comments regarding the sky in particular. If it was shot in raw, have you tried to see what can be recovered from the sky? Various techniques of course but worth having a play around before you commit to print.

Seems an odd question to ask, Good enough to print?

Good enough to print for who, if you are thinking of getting it printed to sell then i would agree with the above comments about the poor light etc, and personally i don't think it would sell.

Me sell a print ? Crikey ! I never considered members would think I meant that. I have no desire (or the skills required) to devalue this enjoyable hobby into a money making venture.

Last edited:
Well, I've gracefully accepted that my Pic is not going to win any major photographic awards :eek: and as going back for a second attempt isn't going to happen in the near future, I have attempted to improve it ?

i-8cgNgpc-X2.jpg

That's much improved.(y)

I've never found Lagangarbh Hut the most photogenic of buildings though.

Much better in terms of the sky. Only thing I would say is that it has lost a little of the moody atmosphere of the original. Foreground maybe a little too light now? Not sure but there's potential there.

It's a lovely spot by the way. Whiled a way an hour or so myself there a year back.

Only on my phone at the moment but the edited version looks much better:)
Go get it printed - nothing to lose.

Also as mentioned, a lot of printers tend to darken pics so that might end up making the foreground a bit moodier again.

Back