Glencoe lochan autumn colours

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
I visited this lochan on a few different days as I wanted to shoot the autumn colours. For those of you not familiar with the area, there is a path/trail/loop of about one mile that goes around the lochan and offers lovely photo opportunities. Its easily accessible from Glencoe village. In these you can see the Pap of Glencoe and its reflection. From the other side you can see beinn a bheithir reflected (I've shown those on a previous thread).

16026363976_fd50c6e2c6_o.jpg

16061390672_d07a727ded_o.jpg

16052126965_f16736dc34_o.jpg

16026378976_7daa74ea55_o.jpg

Hi Marie I was waiting patiently for you to put these up after the November POTY, you picked the right one for your entry although I do like the reflection in 2 and 3. Congratulations on your win and look forward to seeing your entries for the all new POTY 2015. ;)

The last one I am least fond of. I know you want to use the path as a lead in but I want to see more on the LHS of that reflection.

I know the Lochan well, its not always still and easy to get these lovely still waters, you've picked a good day for it however I would wish to see more drama in the lighting, a lower sun giving a softer more golden light. I also think had you gone deeper into the autumn you'd have richer colours, they are all however perfectly pleasant enough images.

The last one I am least fond of. I know you want to use the path as a lead in but I want to see more on the LHS of that reflection.

I know the Lochan well, its not always still and easy to get these lovely still waters, you've picked a good day for it however I would wish to see more drama in the lighting, a lower sun giving a softer more golden light. I also think had you gone deeper into the autumn you'd have richer colours, they are all however perfectly pleasant enough images.

I can't disagree with that Steve but its a six hour 250 mile return journey for me so had to hope for the best when I got there. Also, I don't think the weather allowed for deeper autumn this year. Certainly not on my days off anyway. The last one was on a late October day but the sky was very bland compared with earlier trips.

I can't disagree with that Steve but its a six hour 250 mile return journey for me so had to hope for the best when I got there. Also, I don't think the weather allowed for deeper autumn this year. Certainly not on my days off anyway. The last one was on a late October day but the sky was very bland compared with earlier trips.

3hrs there and back...how slow do you drive???? :p

It has been a crap year weatherwise, I've got sadly too few autumn images alas

3hrs there and back...how slow do you drive???? :p

It has been a crap year weatherwise, I've got sadly too few autumn images alas

Haha, I'm not a slow driver but at least I keep my licence :D
And no big heided nikon photographer in my shots this time :rolleyes:

The weather dictates what we shoot, but when its good its worth it.

Haha, I'm not a slow driver but at least I keep my licence :D
And no big heided nikon photographer in my shots this time :rolleyes:

The weather dictates what we shoot, but when its good its worth it.

You had a ten stop on IIRC, it (well me) should have ghosted out...

Depends where you are on Skye, but thats a 2hr run if that ;) (at big heid speeds)

Back to your images, I reckon now the snow is done, on a still clearish day, with a light dusting that would look really magical. A project for once I am fully mobile.

Last edited:
Nope I had a 3 stop and waited for you to move as I was staying in Glencoe that week so no rush.
The 3 hours includes stopping for fuel/food and possibly the odd photo, I'm probably 2.5hrs actual driving time away.

I'll be back there for a week in April so will hopefully get sunrise at the lochan (as well as the usual rannoch moor sites)

Reactions: ST4
Ah...I had a six stop (well 6.5 but lee say six) plus the usual grads. Was a great morning that, little did I know it was this years POTY. Well done :D

If you had a week there, and arrived the day before, you'd have been in luck. I took a taxi (well he's a pal of my Ma's) to get up there. So glad I did. Should get him to do it again, but as you say, days off, with good light, are hard to come by up here.

Not sure how I missed this set Marie.

As you've already said - autumnal colour wasn't at it's height but the conditions have allowed you to get some lovely shots with fantastic clarity.

My own personal favourites are 1,2 & 3 in that order.

Thanks for comments folks.
I posted them in order of my preference, #4 being included mainly to show the path that runs around the loch.

Back