Critique Golden Sunrise in Whitley Bay

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I woke up on Tuesday morning and had a peek out the window as I always do, saw the clouds forming and it looked like it was going to be a nice morning so I headed off down to St Marys Lighthouse for some shots. The sun rises too far south at this time of year to be able to get the lighthouse and the sunrise both in frame and get a nice composition so i went a little further up the coast to Old Hartley where you get a nice view of the lighthouse, granted its never going to be the main focal point when its this far away but the foreground makes up for it!

1) - 0.6 seconds // f16 // ISO400 // 17mm // Kood 0.6HE Grad // LEE 0.9SE Grad // 17-40L

2) - 1.3 seconds // f16 // ISO100 // 20mm // Kood 0.6HE Grad // LEE 0.9SE Grad // 17-40L

3) - 1.3 seconds // f18 // ISO100 // 17mm // Kood 0.6HE Grad // LEE 0.9SE Grad // 17-40L
[url=https://flic.kr/p/pzzsZk]

4) - 1.6 seconds // f18 // ISO100 // 17mm // Kood 0.6HE Grad // LEE 0.9SE Grad // 17-40L

Thanks for looking!

Nick[/url]

1 for me, lovely colours. I was up early on Tuesday with the plan to go to St Mary's but with the tide quite far in didn't think I would get far enough round to get the sunrise into frame. Ended up at trying Cullercoats, it was a fantastic sky.

No 1 all the way for me as well, since you've really nailed a fleeting moment of light and made the best of it. The foreground rocks are a big part of the composition, but you've balanced the light really well to make sure it all hangs together. The rest are good too, mind!

saw these on Facebook, Nick. The best I've seen from you IMO

Well that lot made it worth while going some stunning shots Nick.

Thankyou everybody, i really appreciate the kind words. I had another go at a similar photo to #1 with a bit more of a moody feel.....

When i put this one on it got explored as well, almost 30,000 views with over 400 favourites, I know it doesnt equate to anything but its a good feeling :)

Last edited:
The sky in #1 is to die for, I love it :clap:
Its one of those when you look at the camera lcd and think 'wow'

Back