Golf R32 Rig Shots

Name
Sammy
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't often post my rig shots in this section as I tend to keep them to the rig thread.

However, I was really happy with these two so I decided to post them in here to share :)

They were taken today in baltic temperatures and practically a gale force wind. This was the first time I had stacked the ND400 with the CPL filter so I was interested to see how it fared :)

Starting to feel like I am getting better with the new carbon fibre rig and getting used to it :)

For anyone else that rigs (or wants to) then check out the thread in the other section...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-ultimate-car-rig-photography-thread.423609/page-23

Sammy

It really works well.

The way I look at your images is that the static shots look like something I could have done where as the rig shots look in a different league.

I think it's the processing more than anything. I know it was the look that you were going for, but I find the heavy vignette and darkened sky a little distracting.

If they were mine, I'd give them a quick flirt over with a clarity brush then maybe another pass over the background. *BUT* I am more than likely talking jiberish so feel free to ignore. :D

thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. Glad you like the rig shots :) I agree the processing is not everyone's taste. I love the almost HDR look and heavy sky and vignetting lol maybe I should tone it down a bit tho :)

Love the rig shots sduk but the statics, are you using a polarising filter ???
Only asking because of the reflections Especially the yellow and black crash post in the 3rd image.
As for the HDR look, I am all for it as to me the automotive world is one of the only places it works really well and with a car llike the 32 dark and moody is the way

Thanks mate. Yeah I did use a polariser in all shots. With that shot being at an angle I normally would have used my tripod and taken a shot for the front polarised then another for the side. It was too windy today for my tripod so I had to make do. I guess I could have removed it in pp tho. :)

I much prefer the second 'action' shot - It has a much greater sense of speed. For me, the first shot looks over Photoshop'd but it depends what you use the shot for. I designed a calendar using a rig shot as cover in 2013....

Calendar_cover_v3.jpg

Several friends of mine have Mk4 R32 - Performance modified and that V6 sounding glorious! I have driven the Mk5 too and own a very modified Mk5 GTI.

Use of light in the rig shots is completely different. They are more "natural" looking and I think that's the way forward. Were the rigs single take shots then PP'd? If so give the statics the same deal more cohesive set then as well.

Rig shot no2 for me. Less of the fisheye styling going on. The MK4 golf is angular and the wide angle lens throws some of that out when used on the absolute corners. But focus and movement are great in both shots.

I much prefer the second 'action' shot - It has a much greater sense of speed. For me, the first shot looks over Photoshop'd but it depends what you use the shot for. I designed a calendar using a rig shot as cover in 2013....

Calendar_cover_v3.jpg

Several friends of mine have Mk4 R32 - Performance modified and that V6 sounding glorious! I have driven the Mk5 too and own a very modified Mk5 GTI.
You still got the red Mk5 then?

You still got the red Mk5 then?

....Indeed I have! 111,000 miles from new and I am still enjoying every mile.

So, Duncan, I'm now assuming that you know me from the Mk5GTI forum? What is your forum name if you are/were also a member there?

Use of light in the rig shots is completely different. They are more "natural" looking and I think that's the way forward. Were the rigs single take shots then PP'd? If so give the statics the same deal more cohesive set then as well.

Rig shot no2 for me. Less of the fisheye styling going on. The MK4 golf is angular and the wide angle lens throws some of that out when used on the absolute corners. But focus and movement are great in both shots.

That is pretty bang on and what i was talking about, just that he said it better. :LOL:

Thanks Minnnt. Unusual for me to make sense. And yes Robin...dTEA as here but was more active on golfgtiforum than any. Running an ED30 now and 87,000 and love it, different beast than the gorgeous R32 here though.

Back