Critique Goodwood Festival of Speed 2014

D

Dinsdale

I was lucky enough to be given a free ticket to this year's event.
Here are some of the shots I managed to get in the rally section of the event, just before Sebastian Loeb showered me and my camera in chalk dust.
I'd appreciate any constructive crit etc. Thanks.

1)

FOSGW-41
by RWalton65, on Flickr

2)

FOSGW-34
by RWalton65, on Flickr

3)

FOSGW-24
by RWalton65, on Flickr

4)

FOSGW-22
by RWalton65, on Flickr

5)

FOSGW-27
by RWalton65, on Flickr

6)

FOSGW-6
by RWalton65, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and any crit etc that you leave for me. (y)

Theres plenty more shots on my Flickr page if you'd care to pop along and have a browse.

So then, I assume that having had 77 views and no comments/critique that my photos are pretty good then. Nice one! :)

I'm no expert but here's some comments anyway !
#1 is too tight in the frame for me, needs some room to move into.
#2 I like this, nice lighting on the car and it stands out well from the background. Perhaps a little central but I don't have a big problem with that.
#3 is ok, like the dust behind the car. Was the car bright red ? if so it looks a bit of a strange colour on my monitor. Looking at the conditions, it must have been difficult to shoot with shade in the woods and bright patches of sunlight.
#4 has a green colour cast to me but I guess that matches with the surroundings. Car is nicely framed.
#5 I would have liked to see more of the background with that lovely light shining through the dust.

Hope this doesn't sound too critical. Took some shots here myself a few years back & would love to go again some time.

They all seem a bit too tight for my liking, though I do like the 2nd image, even if it is very central, which is the same issue with the other's too.

Also, not fussed on the focussing in the 1st image and as neil says above, colour cast on #4 pretty much ruins it, but you can sort that out in post.

I presume all of these are crops (except for #2) so you should have room to do some craft cropping for drive-into space.

Other than that, pretty cool. I like the blur that you've captured and dust/dirt getting thrown around and I like the focal length used to flatten it all out.

Guys,
Thanks for the advice it's gratefully received. By way of explanation though:

#1 Believe it or not, this is not cropped. I wish it was! I had a 70-200 F2.8 with me and was fully open at 70mm. The car only just fitted in as it sped by. Problem was he showered us in what looked and behaved like cement dust mixed with potato sized flint cobbles. My camera looked like it had just been dug out of a bag of cement. :(

The rest are crops I'm afraid. Mostly to remove unwanted trackside nasties and the fact that I couldn't get close enough to the track in a position that I could shoot clearly without having to fight tooth and nail to get in.

The Porsche shot is a true representation of the scene as it happened and I didn't want to make it artificially coloured by adjusting the colour cast. Although I do understand the comment made and to some extent can agree.

Thanks for your comments.

Back