Critique Gormley head

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
My wife has been keen for some time to see the Gormley statues at Crosby and we recently went.

If you go I recommend taking some kind of reflector (I didn't) because otherwise your images might have strong shadows.

Could be a good place to practice headshots as the models don't move - no matter how much you shout and curse:)

6172-1406566504-950ae066963aa22b32a0f2aa5a5f5649.jpg

I took pictures of the statues pretty much as a record rather than as 'work of art' in their own right.

I can't get my head round it being 'artistic' to take a picture of something specifically created as a work of art, such as these statues, unless there is some additional element contributed by the photographer. For the same reason I don't 'get it' when people take pictures of graffiti - again - unless there is some additional element (which there often seems not to be). Seems a bit like taking a picture of the 'Mona Lisa' as opposed to a picture of someone studying - say - the Mona Lisa.:)

Thats one ugly statue chris, bloomin eck. Something out of a horror movie!

If you wanted to be arty with it, you could always try a wide angle lens and get up really close to get some funky distortions out of it. I presume its the size of a real bloke? around 5.5 foot or so ? so you could get as close as you wanted i guess

Im going to be having nightmares tonight over that. Its horrible. Like some sun-burnt bloke (with a big grin on his face) and peeling skin. yuck !

Thanks Carl - yes it's actually Gormley size as they are all 100 are the same statue based on a mould of his body (I think)

Some are covered in barnacles all over and some only up to the waist etc depending on where they are.

Strangely some have barnacles above the waist but have one shiny area a little bit below the waist .........

Last edited:
Here is a barnacley one (not the one with the shiny bit though:))

6173-1406570138-dfdf44c1da7bd5ae184bd4c470f99024.jpg

hi Chris
i think these studies are asking for b>w
cheers
geof

hi Chris
i think these studies are asking for b>w
cheers
geof

Yes - I took them (along with ta load of others) with a view to them being B&W but I had problems with the head (I think it was that one anyway) because the shadows were too strong - but as I am continually learning I will give it another go

The second image was just to show the barnacles so I (don't think I) have tried to convert that one - again will give it a go

Thanks for suggesting this.

you can do something with shadows in lightroom...i got one on ebay quite cheap
cheers
geof

Why was I expecting a landscape? :thinking:

I like the textures of the rust on the 1st image, very interesting ... wonder how much longer it will be recogniseable.

you can do something with shadows in lightroom...i got one on ebay quite cheap
cheers
geof

Thanks Geof - I probably have all the software I need toprocess it - it's just the ability and knowledge I am lacking:)

Ok .... here is a revised version in B&W

I feel obliged to say that I took these pictures because my wife wanted to see the statues - I have recently come to the conclusion that I don't like pictures of other people's artwork unless something is clearly added by the photographer - which I don't think applies in this case (and simply doing it in B&W isn't enough (in my current view) - although despite myself - I quite like it:)

6282-1407340661-52b9415866fe6830cedbcc68863a85e2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok .... here is a revised version in B&W

I feel obliged to say that I took these pictures because my wife wanted to see the statues - I have recently come to the conclusion that I don't like pictures of other people's artwork unless something is clearly added by the photographer - which I don't think applies in this case (and simply doing it in B&W isn't enough (in my current view) - although despite myself - I quite like it:)

6282-1407340661-52b9415866fe6830cedbcc68863a85e2.jpg

that has more drama to it...the rust distracted and became too much of focal interest
cheers
geof

Thanks Geof

Back