Gramps' bird thread

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Decided to add my own thread for some of my bird shots, feel free to comment if you wish.
I don't get great chances to record spectacular shots but I enjoy getting out and photographing birds as the opportunity arises ... I make no claims to greatness :D

A few small British.

Sparrow

Dreaming of a warmer climate
by photogramps, on Flickr

Chaffinch

Chaffinch on orange

Chaffinch

Just here on the perch

LTT

Long-tailed Tit

Nice start,a thread to watch :)

only viewing on phone roger, but the background on the chaffinch looks stunning. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Are they all taken with a D4S + the Sigma 150mm 600mm @ 600mm, Roger?

which Sigma please?

Last edited:
Are they all taken with a D4S + the Sigma 150mm 600mm @ 600mm, Roger?

which Sigma please?
No Bill, this is with the Tamron 150-600, I don't have the Sigma :)
AFAIK the only Sigma 150-600 currently available is the 'Sport' version, the cheaper one is due in the new year I believe.

No Bill, this is with the Tamron 150-600, I don't have the Sigma :)
AFAIK the only Sigma 150-600 currently available is the 'Sport' version, the cheaper one is due in the new year I believe.

Very good IQ, Roger at 600mm and the lens only weights half, (2 kgs), as much as the Sigma, I believe

Very good IQ, Roger at 600mm and the lens only weights half, (2 kgs), as much as the Sigma, I believe
1/2 the weight of the 'Sport' Bill ... I think the cheaper Sigma will be around the same weight.

Four good images for your new thread Rodger, a nice clean shot in No2 & lovely detail in the LTT.

pretty good images those gramps and the Tamron look very useful

I'm not a fan of LTT's though ..... they always look as though they have not been finished off

Chaffinch (5) shows classic signs of "scaly foot", the "leg iron" on the LTT's is a shame, the first Chaffinch is the best for on a stick.
Chaffinch on approach is a beauty (y)

Chaffinch on approach is very good Roger, the bird being in shadow and light works quite well, nice different type of shot.

Chaffinch (5) shows classic signs of "scaly foot", the "leg iron" on the LTT's is a shame, the first Chaffinch is the best for on a stick.
Chaffinch on approach is a beauty (y)

Thank you ... I believe the Chaffinch has viral papilloma?
There are quite a number of affected Chaffinches at my local WWT, some quite severely, which is a shame...

View attachment 25901

I guess ringing has its purpose but it is a nuisance photographically :)

How far away are you from these? Are you in a hide?
Love the flying chaffinch images as they are something different.

How far away are you from these? Are you in a hide?
Love the flying chaffinch images as they are something different.

Distances vary with shots but probably between 20 & 50 feet and yes I am in a hide at my local WWT reserve.

Lovely set you have there.

Was packed this morning Joe, always someone coming into the hide and chatting loudly!
Saw a Water Rail twice from the Willow Hide ... caught it out of the corner of my eye whilst focusing up into the trees and missed it both times argh! :banghead:

@Joeturner11

Last edited:
The flight shots of the chaffinch are great gramps, lovely colour and light. Long tailed tits are lovely. A nice thread, reminds me of a thread I started a while back, attempting to photograph all the species of bird I have seen, might bring up to date.

Thanks Michael ... good idea to re-visit your thread :)

Was packed this morning Joe, always someone coming into the hide and chatting loudly!
Saw a Water Rail twice from the Willow Hide ... caught it out of the corner of my eye whilst focusing up into the trees and missed it both times argh! :banghead:

@Joeturner11

I can imagine it was, in the winter with some nice weather the place is always rammed! I know how you feel about the water rail missing the shot, I had the same situation last week with a sparrowhawk, by the time I aimed the camera at it, the bugger was already gone!

Another nice collection Gramps, like the Chaffy apart from the branch to the side, but my favourite would be the Reed Bunting, a nicely composed shot.

Great day today although the light was poor and despite a promised break in the clouds that never materialised I managed to at last capture a load of shots of the Water Rail :D

Other visitors included a Greater Spotted Woodpecker and a pair of Greenfinches.

1. Water Rail slipping across the water

Water Rail

2. Water Rail searching for food

Water Rail

3. Water Rail feeding

Water Rail

4. GSW

Greater Spotted Woodpecker

5. Male Greenfinch

Male Greenfinch

6. Female Greenfinch

Female Greenfinch

This is building into a superb collection. All being well my OH and I will be at Slimbridge a week on Sunday, hoping for good light and lots of birds. If I see a water rail for long enough to photograph it that would be the cherry on the cake.

Thanks Janny, I've been trying for the Water Rail for weeks so I was well pleased today :D

Love those Water Rails Roger (y) - looks like the GSW has spotted you too!

Russ

Thanks Russ, been waiting a while to get the Water Rail and the GSW was very nervous, flying off 4 times when I moved! :)

Back