Gramps' bird thread

A nice set again Gramps, three lovely Rail shots and nice to get one in the water.

A nice set again Gramps, three lovely Rail shots and nice to get one in the water.

Thanks Den ... another case of patience rewarded :D

Cracking shots of the water rail. They put mine from Sunday to shame. It seems to be getting quite bold, though. It was around for ages when I was there, but in the past all I've had is split second fleeting glimpses.

Cracking shots of the water rail. They put mine from Sunday to shame. It seems to be getting quite bold, though. It was around for ages when I was there, but in the past all I've had is split second fleeting glimpses.

Thanks Jan ... there were two popping out of the reeds this morning and very active :)

Stunning set of Water Rail shots again mate, I'm heading there Sunday & Possible Monday aswell so hoping ( fingers crossed ) The Water Rail will display well!

Two there this morning Joe and very active :)

Thanks Joe, freezing this morning but at least I wasn't walking barefoot on the ice :D

It's certainly an obliging bird. I hope it's still around the next time I get up there, hopefully in better light than last time. The one with its wings up is great timing - I didn't see it extend its wings at all - but my favourite is the close up. A lovely portrait of a lovely bird.

Thanks Janny, I hope you manage to see it :)
It was unusually skittish yesterday, I'm not sure if it was the noise of the excited visitors or the presence of a huge rat but, it kept charging off into the reeds!

Just caught up,some great images

Smew, (Mergellus albellus)
adult male

nice shot - attractive bird

Last edited:
Lovely set again Roger, especially like the Smew which unfortunately I have
not had the pleasure of seeing yet.
Atb Mike

Last edited:
Some great shots Roger, the last chaffy really pops frm the bg, great shots of the waterrail

Some really lovely and inspiring images in this thread with quite a few which stand out as favourites.

I'm now subscribed to watching and enjoying this thread.

:)

Thanks for the comments guys, the Tamron 150-600 is serving me well :)

I really like the long tailed tit and the wren (LTTs being among my favourite birds but usually far too quick for me). I hope there are two water rails prancing the next time I'm there, though actually I'd be happy with one in good light.

Back