Great Central Railway - Loughborough

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
I was desperate to get out after being stuck indoors for a few days - laid up with the dreaded lurgy :(

It was cold enough to produce some good steam shots so, I went in search of somewhere new (to me).... Loughborough! A few from the day.

Loughborough - Great Central railway by Barry Cant

Nice set of images Barry, with #1, & #3, being the strongest for me.(y)

George.

Nice set of images Barry, with #1, & #3, being the strongest for me.(y)

George.

Thanks George

Nice set of images and nice to see one of these locations not overcrowded with visitors (Not good for the centre though) I suppose.

Paul

Thanks Paul. It was New Year's Eve ;) But, their 1st Class Pullman "See the New Year in with us" trip to Leicester with 6 course meal was fully subscribed!

Lovely 2 and 3 are fabulous

Thank you... I feel like I was a bit lucky with the light. It was a spur of the moment excursion - I never left home until lunch time.

I really like No. 3 I must give that a go.
I hope the GCR is still snowy when I'm there for the gala.

I hope so too - it was so cold I felt it would last until May :)

Smashing set. The first one grabs the attention and you somehow know if this is what the first is like..quality..the rest are going to be top shots too,as they are. I think 2,especially, is excellent...the elderly gent between the steam discharges, I think with him being elderly adds something to it as well.. creative thinking to get that shot..to see it for what it is..It sort of captures a moment in time (what other type of moment is there ?..Lol)..and the viaduct shot is captivating, a lovely scene. I just love this set !!

2, 4 and 5 are very nice atmospheric and timeless photos

Sorry, but the modern houses spoil no 1 for me

Smashing set. The first one grabs the attention and you somehow know if this is what the first is like..quality..the rest are going to be top shots too,as they are. I think 2,especially, is excellent...the elderly gent between the steam discharges, I think with him being elderly adds something to it as well.. creative thinking to get that shot..to see it for what it is..It sort of captures a moment in time (what other type of moment is there ?..Lol)..and the viaduct shot is captivating, a lovely scene. I just love this set !!

Thansk for your time and kind words. It's been a while since I did anything like this. It was good to work to some kind of theme - the tricky bit was limiting it to a few shots I liked.

2, 4 and 5 are very nice atmospheric and timeless photos

Sorry, but the modern houses spoil no 1 for me

Thanks... couldn't do too much about the houses :( Maybe, in Spring when the trees/bushes are in leaf! They disappointed me too - I have a whole raft of shots where I tried to lose them but nothing really gelled as well as this one.

Good stuff,again Barry. So that's what they look like inside. Very smart. You can just imagine the great and the good in that first class carriage. I wonder if there is ever a trip where the passengers wear period costume. ? I did read of one such event which received criticism because someone dressing up as Goering, many complaints were received.

I was thinking more of just the dress for the day..1920's/30's…I think.

I found it. I have to say that the Goerring look-a-like is very accurate. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-play-parts-Hitler-Goering-SS-officers.html

Nice shot of Oliver Cromwell too. especially with the snow and on its own. Us steam enthusiasts have had some treats lately. Good idea to go sepia on the shot as the train pulled away.You had a good day.

Nice work Barry, I particularly like the last one and the sepia toning. Haven't been to the Great Central for a couple of years but I'll go to the Gala at end of the month.

I wonder if there is ever a trip where the passengers wear period costume. ? I did read of one such event which received criticism because someone dressing up as Goering, many complaints were received.I was thinking more of just the dress for the day..1920's/30's…I think. .

The Severn Valley Railway run two "40's" weekends in June and July, that's always good fun, lots of people dressing up in uniform and the ladies look lovely in their seamed stockings :) [ calm down now:oops: :$!]
The big war weekend is run by the North Yorks Moors railway in October, Pickering and Whitby [and all points between] are packed with enthusiasts in uniform but anybody sporting Nazi regalia is asked to leave.

Good set. love the steam ... treatment of the last works very well :)

The Severn Valley Railway run two "40's" weekends in June and July, that's always good fun, lots of people dressing up in uniform and the ladies look lovely in their seamed stockings :) [ calm down now:oops: :$!]

Thanks Jim…'Seamed, stockings, seamed stocking' !! Shiver me timbers... Can I get tickets right now ?? :naughty:.. Lol.

I'm over 40 though..Lol..

As you're aware Severn Valley is on the doorstep so,many thanks for the heads up..I'll note this on the calendar. My wife will enjoy the costumes, for sure.

I can't understand why those men thought dressing up as Hitler and Goering was acceptable at what is obviously meant to be a fun day. Maybe they have get-togethers now and then with all that gear on… like the Civil War actors, which is totally different of course.

Back