Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
Trying to improve my composition and PP abilities

Fire away with suggestions

Grey_H_1.jpg

Grey_H_2.jpg

I'll suggest the compositions is very poor. Far too central and in both cases needs space to the right of frame, the second is to crammed in the frame too imo. I dunno why people persist in framing wildlife shots like this. It rarely works which is a pity because the detail and exposure look ok a wee bit blown on the chest mind but over all ok.

Thanks

I don't understand your "space to the right" concept - can you illustrate by posting an image

(are you suggesting a one thirds, then two thirds space type composition)

Last edited:
Essentially what he means is that generally, a subject should have more space on the side it is facing, then behind it.
So in this case, the bird is facing right so should have room to the right.

Essentially what he means is that generally, a subject should have more space on the side it is facing, then behind it.
So in this case, the bird is facing right so should have room to the right.

Thanks, I have always taken bird shots to "record" the "tick" it is only recently that I have seen that I need to improve.

In the case above it is difficult to get "space to the right" as there is a Cormorant in the way

I agree you need spitting distance that is room in-front of any subject to move into.
If you learning about composition a good read is Michael Freeman he has many books, you might like "The Photographers Eye" as a good place to start.
ISBN 9781905814046

Thanks

I don't understand your "space to the right" concept - can you illustrate by posting an image

(are you suggesting a one thirds, then two thirds space type composition)
Yes that's exactly what I mean. In the first you could crop a bit off the left if there's a problem to the right. Think about composition when you take the shot. This'll make it easier when it comes to pp.

Another try

I spent a few hours "Heron" watching this afternoon

difficult to get the exposure right because of the brilliant white of the Egret

Grey_H_3.jpg

It got slightly overcast later in the afternoon

Grey_H_4.jpg

Last edited:
It got slightly overcast later in the afternoon

[/quote]

Last edited:
I'll suggest the compositions is very poor. Far too central and in both cases needs space to the right of frame, the second is to crammed in the frame too imo. I dunno why people persist in framing wildlife shots like this. It rarely works which is a pity because the detail and exposure look ok a wee bit blown on the chest mind but over all ok.

+1 (y)

Back