Grey Importers (Again)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I've posted questions before about the pros and cons of " grey " imports, and although I had almost decided decided to go for UK authorised dealers, I'm wondering if out of what seem to be the main "Greys" of Panamoz, HDEW and Digitalrev, is the latter recommended by TP as they have their own section on the forum?
It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get the funds in time to take advantage of Nikon's cashback offers for a D7100, so it's wait until the D7200 comes out, which seems likely to be September, and the prices drop, or go for a Grey import.
I'm in no great hurry to do either as my D90 does all I need, ( I know ,I know, why am I bothering to change) It's because I really fancy a D7100 and I have all the glass I am likely to need.
Going off the subject slightly two of my lenses are suitable for FX, a 70-300VR and a 105 Macro VR, but if I was ever to think about going full frame, what would I need to replace my 16-85Vr with?

If you really want a D7100 but are prepared to wait until/if a newer updated version is announced, (then available in November) then the D7100 will start to come down in price.
If you wait for a D7200 you will be paying top-dollar.

There are many threads on each of those sellers (& more) if you use the `search` facility, so you should be able to decide from those. (instead of starting another thread that will ultimately be closed due to differences of opinion on the subject of `grey` goods)

I've posted questions before about the pros and cons of " grey " imports, and although I had almost decided decided to go for UK authorised dealers, I'm wondering if out of what seem to be the main "Greys" of Panamoz, HDEW and Digitalrev, is the latter recommended by TP as they have their own section on the forum?

I have bought from Panamoz on a number of occasions and have been more than pleased with their prices and service. As for Digital Rev, I don't believe their presence on TP should be read as a recommendation by TP.

Reactions: ST4
I bought a Canon 15-85 from DigitalRev last week. Great price and quick delivery so cant fault them (I have also purchased from them in the past when living in Dubai).

I've used both Panamoz and DR (many times), and here is my take on them.
Both have been very satisfactory, and cheap. Delivery times were great, very quick from from HK from DR.

Although I have not had to use DR's warranty system I felt safe going with them.
With Panamoz I felt that although they were reliable it would be an exchange rather than any warrenty fixes. I had a faulty Tamron lens and when I sent it to them, about two months later they gave me a full refund, the day they recieved the lens, no mention of sending it away etc. At lest this is a local London address.

Personally I would buy from HDEW and request a VAT receipt.

AL

I must admit Al that's the way I was thinking about, thanks for replying

I've bought many grey-market imports, as I currently live in Japan (and often buy things through HK etc). The biggest issue I can see is with warranty issues, and so on - I've been lucky in that regard.

I have bought from Panamoz on a number of occasions and have been more than pleased with their prices and service. As for Digital Rev, I don't believe their presence on TP should be read as a recommendation by TP.

This. ^^

Also from the rules:
  • Just because we've allowed an advertiser onto our site, doesn't mean we can be held responsible for what they do. It's your responsibility to check them out before you hand over your money!
Would also suggest you read the sticky post regarding buying from abroad - HERE - which will mean no one has to feel the need to come in an explain it all to you again.

Note: Moving thread to shopping, I would suggest putting the additional lens question in a separate thread in Equipment. :)

Last edited:
Back