groyne, slipway and boat in harbour

The boat is great, colour and the nice sharp rendering make it interesting and the reflection and background are good too.

The other two are boring, there's little or nothing of any real interest to my eyes, I'm afraid.

your points are noted. thanks for your input guys. still got plenty to learn

The first two need the tide to be up around the groyne, with nice morning or evening light then you'd have a shot.

The last is lovely with the reflections, nice work.

I can see what you were going for with the groyne/slipway leading in. IMO you needed to be either a little higher with a slightly more downward tilt, or much closer to it with a wider lens. Either way, the light wasnt good, would be much better at sunrise/sunset.

Landscapes are all about light and subject matter. Technically these shots are fine, well exposed etc, level. Extremes of the day are the best time to shoot. I am confident your 1st shot, after sunset or before sunrise with an interesting sky, higher tide and water movement could look really good. Try taking these late or early in the day.

Harbours can be great, early in the day

_DSC0448 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC0450 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Hi DC
I think why they are saying the images boring to them is because of a couple of things. One is the light, although your pictures are what most people think is good, it isn't very flattering for photography! No shadow, contrast etc, a bit flat because of the direct/overhead sunlight. The light becomes much better at either end of the day. The subject in the 1st two is interesting but it need a little something extra to make it sing a little. For example if the tide had been coming in the water rushing around the groynes splashing around the timbers or the setting or rising sun on the horizon, or golden light playing on the timbers or bathing the incoming tide with light. It's hard to get it right without the right light even with a stunning location. Hope this helps and I'm not telling you how to suck eggs!
Cheers Steve

Last edited:
after reviewing the images i can now see how they look flat and understand the difference the right light makes and also if the water was lapping around the timbers. thank you all for pointing out how i can improve. dont think i'll be back to the coast for sometime but will keep in mind the lighting etc.

Reactions: ST4
Hi DC
I think why they are saying the images boring to them is because of a couple of things. One is the light, although your pictures are what most people think is good, it isn't very flattering for photography! No shadow, contrast etc, a bit flat because of the direct/overhead sunlight. The light becomes much better at either end of the day. The subject in the 1st two is interesting but it need a little something extra to make it sing a little. For example if the tide had been coming in the water rushing around the groynes splashing around the timbers or the setting or rising sun on the horizon, or golden light playing on the timbers or bathing the incoming tide with light. It's hard to get it right without the right light even with a stunning location. Hope this helps and I'm not telling you how to suck eggs!
Cheers Steve

Cracking crit.

Cracking crit.
Why thank you Ruth. I do try and be constructive..... I see it as all about helping each other where we can.
Best wishes
Steve

Back