Happy New Couple!

Name
Jack Valentine Parkinson
Edit My Images
No
Huge congratulations to Lyndsey and Rob who got married on Thursday :)

Currently square eyed from all the photos I need to get through!!

14k86cy.jpg

She looks a bit bored in this one & not sure crop is the best choice (just under breast or keep hands in shot maybe). Quite like the backlight though.

This is the original frame, I wanted it to be tight like this so went for below the elbow.

IMO this would have worked far better if

(a) it was shot portrait so you could show them holding hands and thereby avoid the cropped limb, and

(b) it was either the currently-trendy "flared sun between faces" shot or they were kissing so you have a conventional rim-lit shot.

Whatever, at least they're a tidy-looking couple, her dress fits, and she's devoid of back-fat :)

Forgive me for asking, but is the low-contrast washed-out look intentional, or when you say it's the "original frame", do you mean it's SOOC??

Last edited:

(a) it was shot portrait so you could show them holding hands and thereby avoid the cropped limb, and

(b) it was either the currently-trendy "flared sun between faces" shot or they were kissing so you have a conventional rim-lit shot.

Whatever, at least they're a tidy-looking couple, her dress fits, and she's devoid of back-fat :)

Forgive me for asking, but is the low-contrast washed-out look intentional, or when you say it's the "original frame", do you mean it's SOOC??

The 'washed out' look was intentional :) It's the preset I made for all my photos. They're plenty of pictures with them holding hands also, I just liked this one personally :)

It looks like shes looking past him at something over his shoulder.
As said crop dosnt quite work for me but i do like the processing.

You're missing the point. The original photo you posted is a nothing photo - it should have been binned. The second one is nicer although perhaps a little tacky with them both looking at the camera with false grins.

Each to their own Ben, I happen to like the shot. And false grins? It's their wedding day, some people are happy to be married.

You're missing the point. The original photo you posted is a nothing photo - it should have been binned. The second one is nicer although perhaps a little tacky with them both looking at the camera with false grins.

You may well find that a shot like this is exactly what a B&G's parents would like - so I really wouldn't call it tacky.

Each to their own Ben, I happen to like the shot. And false grins? It's their wedding day, some people are happy to be married.
Nothing at all wrong with that second image!! Well composed, nicely shot, really nice pose and great processing, a corker :). The first image is also very nice (for the aforementioned reasons), the ladies look says more 'deep thought' to me than anything negative.

Nothing at all wrong with that second image!! Well composed, nicely shot, really nice pose and great processing, a corker :). The first image is also very nice (for the aforementioned reasons), the ladies look says more 'deep thought' to me than anything negative.

Thanks Sharky, they're a mixture of smiles and stern looks in the collection. From being there, they certainly weren't bored and couldn't be any more into each other!

I really like both shots, and the processing.

As Sharky said, I dont see the Bride as being at all negative in the first one. Deep in thought/reflective maybe. Definitely not a 'nothing photo', and im sure the couple are happy with it.

The second one is probably more of the standard Wedding shot/pose, but will definitely be a favourite with the rest of the family.

Nice work.

Thanks Sharky, they're a mixture of smiles and stern looks in the collection. From being there, they certainly weren't bored and couldn't be any more into each other!
Nothing in those to images says bored to me at all they are lovely. The second image the more i look at it the better it gets, the framing within the trees etc all just looks amazing, and again the processing really suits the mood (to me anyway). They'll look back with their memories of the day and treasure every image because they connect with them.

The second one is nicer although perhaps a little tacky with them both looking at the camera with false grins.

You are a miserable bugger at times Ben :D

Seriously, the second one's a dead safe wedding photo of the kind that most couples (though maybe not yours?) want and which won't date. Or rather wouldn't date if it was processed normally. It's well executed: in fact all that's wrong with it is that the bright blobby highlight peering from behind his head needs to be zapped.

Jack, I note your comment about applying that preset to everything, but IMO that's a seriously bad move from a business POV. A pound to a penny says it will turn off more punters than it turns on.

Indeed. Each to their own. It's just very static - I don't know how much you talk to them but you need to do something to bring them to life. They don't look like they're having fun - equally she doesn't look thoughtful in the first. She looks like she's working out how quickly she can kill him and get away with it. He looks alright though.

It's not easy and I'm sure the more weddings you do the more you'll look back and cringe at these shots. That's what I do anyway (I mean at my own work, not yours)

You may well find that a shot like this is exactly what a B&G's parents would like - so I really wouldn't call it tacky.

What parents like and what's good photography generally don't go hand in hand.

You are a miserable bugger at times Ben :D

:)

From my observations, Ben is one of those chaps that can never be wrong. Thinks he has an answer for everything and as Sid says, a miserable bugger..... :)

Ben you speak like a man of vast wedding experience. How many weddings have you shot exactly?

From my observations, Ben is one of those chaps that can never be wrong. Thinks he has an answer for everything and as Sid says, a miserable bugger..... :)

Ben you speak like a man of vast wedding experience. How many weddings have you shot exactly?

This is a forum where people share opinions. In that respect none us can be wrong.

I think it's over twice as many as yourself. I'm probably only a year further down the line than the OP which is why I feel like I can relate. It's a shame that I'm trying to help but just because it isn't a positive "wow! amazing shot" it's seen like I'm attacking the OP, which isn't the case.

This is a forum where people share opinions. In that respect none us can be wrong.

I think it's over twice as many as yourself. I'm probably only a year further down the line than the OP which is why I feel like I can relate. It's a shame that I'm trying to help but just because it isn't a positive "wow! amazing shot" it's seen like I'm attacking the OP, which isn't the case.

Let's keep it all smiles folks. Everyone's allowed their views :) a good picture to one isn't to another, I welcome Bens comments and happy that some of you like the shot.

Ben I like the look of your work :) I love the box you send them in. Iv used USB2U for the drives in the wooden box but still looking for something to put them in also.

i think they are great. Im a sukka for a bit of fade lol! I think they have a lovely summery feel to them. 1st one is great, i like the way she is looking. I dont see boredom, i seel a loving gaze. It doesnt all have to be about smiles.

The second one is also great for similar reasons. The trade off with the fade is a lack of contrast. I suffer with it and its a fine art balancing both...i fail !!

At the risk of fanning the flames, and i dont mean this at all, i do think more tact and respect can be employed when crit is given. Im not saying that it should be all loving, as its good crit that help people improve, i just think that what is said via a keyboard has a different feel than when said face to face. Facial expresions and voice tones dont translate across tinternet. We are all trying to learn and improve so lets be a bit more civil.....you bunch of miserable old gits!!!!:runaway::)

im now looking forward to my next wedding posting being ripped apart lol!!!

I do love your honesty though....'devoid of back fat' lol!!! i thought my wifes crit was brutal....you and her would get on well lol...

she often says ' WTF is that one about, why did you take it and does it mean anything to you, the B&G or does it hold a random viewers gaze.....if the answer is no then bin it'

i bin a lot lol!!

Ben I like the look of your work :) I love the box you send them in. Iv used USB2U for the drives in the wooden box but still looking for something to put them in also.

:) Thanks. To be clear, I'm not saying the second is one to get rid of. I'm sure a lot of more experience wedding photographers would also take it - you'd probably deliver it to a couple, but when it comes to posting your best work it's not going to make the cut.

I think you've mistaken me for somebody else. As far as I know I don't have any photos of my presentation boxes online. Where have you seen this?

:) Thanks. To be clear, I'm not saying the second is one to get rid of. I'm sure a lot of more experience wedding photographers would also take it - you'd probably deliver it to a couple, but when it comes to posting your best work it's not going to make the cut.

I think you've mistaken me for somebody else. As far as I know I don't have any photos of my presentation boxes online. Where have you seen this?

Hmm... I could have sworn it was your site :confused: I think I've got your pricing page confused with someone else!

At the risk of fanning the flames, and i dont mean this at all, i do think more tact and respect can be employed when crit is given. Im not saying that it should be all loving, as its good crit that help people improve, i just think that what is said via a keyboard has a different feel than when said face to face ...

Greg, just out of interest, could you perhaps give me an example of what you would say indicates "a lack of tact and respect"? I ask only because I don't see any of that in this thread, so am rather puzzled by your comment :)

...she often says ' WTF is that one about, why did you take it and does it mean anything to you, the B&G or does it hold a random viewers gaze.....if the answer is no then bin it''

In which case your good lady is very much like mine. And seeing as how she seems to have grasped the essence of editing wedding snaps just as well as mine did, I commend to you the idea of doing exactly what we did after our first couple of years i.e. make it her job to edit the pictures, yours to process them.

PS Ref honesty, those who know me (and those who turned out for any of the presentations we did) would chuckle at reading your comment. Believe me, I take care to rein it in a bit online ;)

Last edited:
Back