Harlequins v Northampton

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Bit of a drubbing for Northampton today as Harlequins stuffed them 27-6.

Today I decided to shoot in RAW to see if it made any significant difference compared to shooting in JPEGs. I thought it might be handy if the light really dropped off and I needed to go with a slight underexposure to keep the shutter speed up, then boost it back in Lightroom afterwards. 1st half just with the camera in standalone mode, 2nd half tethered to my laptop. The main difference is how long the RAWs take to download off the camera - only just had them done by the end of half time. Shooting tethered is the way to go, and wireless would be even better. I dont know why the Canon wireless module is so expensive when you can get one for an Xbox for £60.

Anyway, lighting was quite good to start with - a bright day if somewhat cold (understatement). I was happy at ISO400 and 1/1000th to begin with. The light gradually dropped and I ended the day at ISO1000 and 1/640th which isn't too bad at all. 300 2.8 lens used with a Canon 1D3 by the way. ust get a 2nd body though...

So here's some pics for you. Excuse the copyright watermark...

#1 Its always worth being out for the warm-up. Andy Gomarsall here...
465094893_aCSWz-M.jpg

#2 Obligatory manager shot. Dean Richards of Harlequins having a chat with one of the Northampton coaches.
465095871_7ZSrE-M.jpg

#3 David Strettle's first game back after a several month layoff resulted in some focused attention from the Northampton team.
465096295_Gvyxg-M.jpg

#4 Scottish international Sean Lamont getting to grips with the opposition
465097220_DQ2Q5-M.jpg

#5 Halftime cheerleaders courtesy of the Miami Dolphins - oh yessss
465098118_gjhEv-M.jpg

#6 Jordan Turner-Hall blasts through a rather weak Northampton defence
465098483_6d5CZ-M.jpg

#7 Obligatory try shot. Really should have straightened this one before uploading it!
465099605_2euZH-M.jpg

#8 Sums up Northampton's day really
465099818_RJuvy-M.jpg

#9 Strettle's post match interview.
465100132_n7Tmj-M.jpg

Got another match on next week - should be fun.

Cheers!

Tobers

Tobers, I found RAW a god send for Rugby, but working under deadline can make it a no no I suppose. Nice work however and the colours and tone really pop somewhat nicely.

6 is standout today.

Obligatory try shot, he says. In union!

Cracking images though. Nos. 3 and 6 really capture the strength and determination required.

Strettle appears to have trimmed his flowing locks.

Really like these.
#4..thought you changed shirts after the game!!

Number 6 stands out for me. I must say that each time you've posted you can see improvements in the pictures, sometimes just little things but thats what makes the difference.

I covered the Gloucester vs London Irish game yesterday and there were no cheerleaders :(
But a very nice Blonde London Irish Fan if thats the shots I've just seen ;)

Shaun

Last edited:
Back