Critique Harvester Ants - New species added!

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
More from this morning. These harvester ants (Messor barbarus) and are the biggest ants I've seen in the wild. I couldn#t quite believe the size of some of their heads, and didn't really want to lean on the ground knowing how powerful their jaws must be. They were dismembering a small group of flowers halfway up a steep riverbank. Fascinating to watch.

These were all taken at 1:1 (although they have been cropped for composition).

Harvester Ant by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Do you keep these Tim as I don't know them as a native species? Great series of photos BTW ;)

Good set Tim... my fav has to be #2 it's a stunner although they do look creeeeeeepy!

Do you keep these Tim as I don't know them as a native species? Great series of photos BTW ;)

Ah no, sorry should have said, I'm in southern Spain atm so will be posting some of the local wildlife over the next few days :)

Thanks both!

Ah no, sorry should have said, I'm in southern Spain atm so will be posting some of the local wildlife over the next few days :)

Thanks both!
Ahh that explains it lol.

#3 is simple spectacular Tim... He obviously took a shining to you, and obviously a hard ass ant as only has 1 antenna. :bat:

Great shots Tim, all are very good with great details. These are the ants I hope to photograph in the summer, yes they are huge. I'm in the South of France so probably the same ants. You should forage in wood piles and try find some scorpions, just be careful.

Thanks all!

These are the ants I hope to photograph in the summer, yes they are huge. I'm in the South of France so probably the same ants.

Do you have a plan of attack? I found these in a dusty steep river bank. They were surrounded by small wasps that had also dug their holes there. A soon as one landed a group would go for it, and the wasp would take off again, so I am assuming they were parasitic wasps. They are playing a risky game with these guys!

You should forage in wood piles and try find some scorpions, just be careful.
Not sure if I am brave enough but maybe if I can find a strong pair of gloves. Maybe if I can get hold of a UV torch I can go on a night hunt :)

Tim ditto what's already been said - we never cease to be amazed by images being posted on the Macro Section not the least being those from yourself :clap:

Really good stuff. #2 is my pick of the bunch.

Asking a bit much I know, but it would be amazing if you could get wasps v ants.

Excellent Tim especially no 2 with the seed good action shot:)

Thanks fellas

Asking a bit much I know, but it would be amazing if you could get wasps v ants.
Yeah that would be cool. I went back today but I think it was a bit late. There were just a few ants milling around and most of the wasps were looking for somewhere to spend the night (I'm going to have to take my gorilla pod and try a natural light stack of the sleeping wasps - it might be challenging in this location though, it's practically a cliff face). I did find a new species of ant though :)

Really nice set Tim.

They look pretty vicious though. I'd hate to be a fly, hornet or wasp.

I particularly like the layout and elements of number 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Now Tim we have discussed this before what are the rules of Ant fight club?

The ants are going to be gunning for you.

Back