Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_9378.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9422.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

#2 for me Dunc! :) I like the lighting lots!

2 is a great shot dunc though i find the hand a little distracting

i rather like the crop and angle on 5 , looks like it could do with an attack in PP to give it some more zing ?

Nice models and locations gutted i couldnt tag along

Victoria looks like a completely different person when she smiles. I didn't see her smile all day. Good capture!

Wow! Lovely to see a smile from Vikki. Well done on that. :) However, I don't like the lighting. It looks like hard light, close to the camera and very square on to her face, creating unappealing hotspots and sheen almost as though the flash was fired on camera. I know it wasn't, but I don't think the lighting is flattering on the model and the background just seems left to make do with leftovers. I can't see any detail in her hair other than strands at the back, and no detail in the dress.

I like the lighting on the face for #2, but the top of her head looks a little hot and her hair looks a little messy around that bright area. Unfortunately the brightness draws the eye. That OOF fingers are, sadly, also distracting.

#3 has nice engagement between eyes and camera. I like the expression too. I think the fingers sprouting out of the bottom of the frame seem slightly odd. I'm not sure if we need to see more of the hand or the fingers repositioned. It just looks somehow not quite right.

#4 seems to have a lot of shadow area in the background that isn't contributing much. I'd be tempted to have composed tighter on Vikki or to maybe throw some more interesting lighting into that dark corner - perhaps some colour. The way she is posed has created a rather peculiar shape (shadow?) running down fom the top of her right shoulder to her right boob.

#5 isn't doing much for me. There's too much dead space above her and the thumb is chopped off. However, there does seem to be slightly better separation between model and background, at least in the top half of the image. Lower down it all seems to have merged into a shadowy abyss.

Apart from #2 I think they might all benefit from some rim lighting to make hair and the model as a whole stand out from the background. There are details on the models which are blending and almost disappearing into the background. #1 and #2 look a little soft to me. I don't know if that's down to the shooting or the processing, but they lack crispness and definition. The others aren't so soft, but they seem just slightly to lack punch and pop.

Hard to pick a winner, but I think it would be #4 if you could disguise that mark on her chest. #1 is my least favourite, with the lighting looking to my untrained eye rather like the results from a point and shoot.

Victoria looks like a completely different person when she smiles. I didn't see her smile all day. Good capture!

It was just before she got cold!! Thanks for all the comments, agree with most of them after having a second look through them. I didn't do any PP apart from cropping.

In terms of the shooting i really enjoyed it but I accept the comments on the lighting but a lot of it was rushed a bit. It would have been nice to spend longer on set ups but learned a lot!

I also felt things were rather rushed. Nobody's fault, but perhaps a lesson for the future. We had a lot of photographers, several models, several outfits and an awful lot of locations to choose. Perm them all together and there isn't much time for each tog to have a decent crack at a model and learn and experiment a bit before there is someone champing at the bit to have their turn. Factor in the weather, any equipment troubles and some time to shift locations and get set up, metered and dialed in again and it did seem like a bit of a rush, more so with limited experience in some/most/all of the teams.

Maybe it would be better for a team to shoot with one model for half a day, or at least a couple of hours, and then swap once at lunchtime rather than trying to change things round every 45 minutes or so and chasing round trying to find where everyone has ended up. That way the group can move on to another location when they are good and ready and if the location is still busy they'll simply have to go and find somewhere else. It's not like there was a shortage of options. If they want the model to change outfits then that can be arranged, but passing people round left right and centre throughout the day - no - not gonna work. Too much time faffing, not enough time remaining to be doing.

Back