Has any one upgraded from D5200 to D7100

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I've currently got the D5200 and love the camera but always had my heart set on a d7100 as it feels it's the last step before full frame
Anyway I've read loads of reviews on both cameras but I'm just looking for real world comments from people who've went from the d5200 to the d7100

Thanks

Nothing really in it for image quality so it depends on whether you find the lack of external controls and/or AF system is holding you back.

What are you looking to gain from the D7100?

The biggest thing with the D7100 that will help you is the ease of use compared to the lower Nikons. Everything is just so much more accessible as all the key things you need have a button so you don't have to delve into menus all the time to change stuff.

And the viewfinder is loads better too.

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of the upgrade. I'd imagine that IQ would be very similar but I personally much prefer the D7000 over the D5100 I had, it always felt like I was fighting the D5100 whereas the D7000 seemed more intuitive and more like the pro bodies I use most of the time.

The sensible thing would be to hang onto the D5200 until you are ready to go FF, , but if you have your heart set on a D7100 then go for it, especially if its your hobby - why would you not buy what you wanted, assuming money isn't an issue.

well thats the thing putting me off ive read the image quality would be exactly the same and thats whats putting me so as such it isnt a step up but then thestep up with be the more professional feel and use of buttons.
I find the d5200 restrictive in that sense that you have to search settings and in different menues to change sertain things but ive never used a d7100 so dont actually know what id gain from having extra buttons or if its just in my head its a better camera cause it looks more professional the other things slightly off putting would be the lack of tilting screen most people dont use it but with a tempremental back awaiting surgery that helps so much especially at night doing astro stuff..

well anothr thing im concidering theres rumors of a d7200/d7300 appearing some time soon and im hoping that it would have the same screen as the d5200 then id just stright in for that.

i cant see me going FF to be totally honest due to the fact id have to invest a whole load more in new lenses and the lenses ive got i love and propably wont change for a long time there more than good enough in my opinion. i think im just kind of on the chance for the best crop body before hitting FF.

Well from what I've read there's a couple pros and cons but but the biggest con so far is the screen thing I just hope the newer 7 series has the screen I need!!

What other button features does the d7100 have?

Separate wheel for different shutter modes rather than delving into menues, bigger easier to hold body. Just, IMHO, better

Back