Having trouble photographing my pet rat

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
As the tiltle says I'm having trouble photographing my pet rat, shes a lovely rat but wont stay still for long. this is the best I have so far and its not very good :( but it is along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'm using a 50mm prime, set to F1.8 because I want the background to be out of focus. I've only had the Lens for one day so it's my first time with a prime. anyway I'm posting up here just incase anyone has any tips that may help me.

Rat_02.jpg

Try a faster shutter speed... and/or give her something to distract her long enough to set up a shot.... it takes a bit of patience....

thanks for the reply Lee , I will give it a go again tomorrow, this time I will try some food and see how long that keeps her in one spot.

Try putting food in something, that way she's not moving around as much...
Good luck...ferrets are just as difficult to shoot....

You will have a bit of trouble at f1.8 this close as the depth of field will be pretty shallow as you are finding out, try and get the subject into better light so you can use f5.6, you will still get a soft background and a shutter above 1/100 or push the iso higher if you camera can handle the noise that high iso creates, short of that you could use a flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back