HDEW / PortusDigital / Validhurst. A Bit of a tangled web??

Well, Paulus, thanks for registering just to post a glowing review of this supplier.

Welcome to the forum - I look forward to your further contributions.

I got a 70d body from Portus, no problems whatsoever. It arrived on the 7th working day precisely.

I asked them about grey imports and got this answer:

Our cameras are not grey imports as we purchase our cameras direct from the same place canon/nikon uk do canon/nikon in the far east so if ours is theres is, just by canon/nikon uk putting uk warranty card with theres doesnt make it any less an import.

I deem a grey import a camera which has been purchased outside the normal canon/nikon sales channels and the warranty is rtb the far east.

all our cameras come with a uk warranty repairable by canon/nikon you just send it back to us and we sort the whole repair process out for you, the warranty is like that because we purchase from canon/nikon direct not canon/nikon uk hence the excellent price.

Actually I do, most of my family work for HMRC and I really dont fancy being stiffed buying an item that has been imported without tax being paid on it. (Or being declared as $10 of Toy parts as per Panamoz!).. Serial numbers do get checked coming back into the UK from time to time,
Indeed there are route for you to buy from vat registered UK sources. I mean you got to be very naive to think a UK retailer would discount 20% on everything and not have some clever procurement or tax arrangement? Especially it would seem u have some HMRC expertise. Seriously get real mate!

Also as far as HDEW concerned they give u VAT receipt so what's problem there? You are not liable for anything you have done. OK the company may or may not have undertake some fancy tax affairs but what business is it to you?

As far as I can see both trading sites have put their claims on their site and clearly defines the boundary. One is a UK based company which supplies VAT processed goods and another is a foreign company which seems to facilitate imports thus no VAT and therefore requires u to declare to customs. And as an importer when you are buying stuff you should ask them to clearly state the value of the goods. If you don't tell them and they put £10 on the package it is your fault also. So Mr Do goodies you haven't got any legs to stand on either. Basically if you are importing yourself you have to be responsible for everything being correct.

Personally, I go for grey import route cos the savings. I am sorry but how many people do u see at the airport exit going through "custom declaration"? If the cops at the custom opened every suit case going by how much revenue there will be for the exchequer in 1 hour...but the fact is that never happens tell you something about the priorities.

Also in terms of VAT registration there are flat rate schemes which entitles people charge 20% but return at a much lower band back to HMRC. So maybe that is what HDEW is doing I.e. passing on the difference. Although the threshold for that scheme is quite low...

Also another piece of info, recently bought something from eBay, it was supposed to be based in China, but the package was actually diapatched from Netherland. So I think some of these greys are finding their way through the EU market by legitimately means utiliaing lax local rules...maybe?

Last edited:
Back