Hebridean Abstracts - Isle of Harris

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Just messing about really - some images from photographs that will be used as reference for an actual painting.

Not everybody's cup of tea but feel free to comment.

Manish
13836060274_9ba095b232_c.jpg

Horgobost
13835786225_97b4fc1432_c.jpg

Taransay
13835800245_7d87f01435_c.jpg

Road to Luskentyre
13836087784_c22bc28792_c.jpg

An interesting set. I think I like horgobost the best as the sea and sand are still very slightly discernible.

Interesting!

Why not continue with the experiment and produce some more photographs like this? It must be a bit trial and error.

Taken from a moving vehicle perhaps?

Nothing that bold - all pp'd from standard shots.

An interesting set. I think I like horgobost the best as the sea and sand are still very slightly discernible.

I agree...actually I really like these

I think these are great Phil..... I especially like 2 and 4....

Thanks folks - I think the Horgobost one works best too.

Thanks Andrew

The end result will be an abstract painting but rather than trying to create the painting from a standard photograph - I'm trying to create an abstract photo that I can use as reference to make the actual painting easier to do.

I've a few others to have a go with but for a first stab I'm happy.

Last edited:
The Horgobost one is very impressive. I could see that one printer large and on a wall.

I like a bit of motion blur but I would try and restrict it to about 50 pixels. Enough to eliminate the minor textures. I have also found that if you can get the horizon completely level then you get a very interesting contradiction between that sharpness of that and the softness of the rest of the shot. I approve of the intent of these, though, definitely.

The Horgobost one is very impressive. I could see that one printer large and on a wall.

Thanks Graeme

I like a bit of motion blur but I would try and restrict it to about 50 pixels. Enough to eliminate the minor textures. I have also found that if you can get the horizon completely level then you get a very interesting contradiction between that sharpness of that and the softness of the rest of the shot. I approve of the intent of these, though, definitely.

Thanks Chris

I agree with your point regarding the contradiction between the sharpness of a level horizon and the soft feel of the shot. I think the key to achieving this will be selecting a suitable image to work on.

I really like these, but it makes my eyes go wobbly when I look at them! I also think that the Horgobost one is the best of the lot :)

Oh now I LOVE these. Just love them. If they were mine they'd be printed by now :)
1, 2 and 4 are fab, and 3 would be too but the central grey area spoils it for me..

Did I mention I love these?

I really like these, but it makes my eyes go wobbly when I look at them! I also think that the Horgobost one is the best of the lot :)

I know what you mean - best viewed late evening lol

Oh now I LOVE these. Just love them. If they were mine they'd be printed by now :)
1, 2 and 4 are fab, and 3 would be too but the central grey area spoils it for me..

Did I mention I love these?

Thanks Ruth. The grey area in the middle is the Island of Taransay but I think it's just too much of a blob as it is.

Could be anywhere, sorry not my cup of tea at all.

Its not quite my thing either...

But I am all for creativity and it has been shown here. Its quite brave to post something as polarising up this, so well done for it.

This sort of thing probably needs strong colours to really gel it. Whilst you dont want to waste a good sunset just after sunset the colours are strong and it would work well, and the long shutter speed needed would lend itself to this blurred type photography. The second has the most interesting colours, and is my choice, but I'd recommend a more vibrant light for this

Sorry.
Keep coming back to them.
Love them as they are.

Its not quite my thing either...

But I am all for creativity and it has been shown here. Its quite brave to post something as polarising up this, so well done for it.

This sort of thing probably needs strong colours to really gel it. Whilst you dont want to waste a good sunset just after sunset the colours are strong and it would work well, and the long shutter speed needed would lend itself to this blurred type photography. The second has the most interesting colours, and is my choice, but I'd recommend a more vibrant light for this

Cheers for the feedback Steve - I am planning a sunset one.

Sorry.
Keep coming back to them.
Love them as they are.

Thanks Ruth

Back