Helen's Bay, Co. Down.

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick one from a walk last night.

C&C appreciated as usual (y)

16204002718_f42e3782f1_b.jpg

I like the dark moodiness. The biggest weakness is the dark, dull area on the right, and the vignette has swallowed all detail or potential lead lines. I'd either back off on the vignette or go in with a brush and lighten some of the rocks to point at the pool. Might also be worth a mono conversion, since it's largely about tones anyway.

I like it but agree with ancient mariner the vignette is too strong.

I don't mind the dark vignette on this one as I feel it adds to the overall sense of foreboding.
The horizon I think slants very very slightly to the left.

I don't mind the dark vignette on this one as I feel it adds to the overall sense of foreboding.

I think it suits the image very well. The richness of the greens look great too!

I think the vignette is part of the appeal with this shot, it is heavy and it should not be used all the time but it draws your eye in well.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it!

I appreciate this is a bit of a marmite one with the strength of the vignette. I like it though, I understand what you mean about lead lines @ancient_mariner, but I think that would be more significant if the lead lines were from the centre of the photo to the middle rather than the right side of the shot.

I actually done a mono version of the same area from a different angle, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as the one above...

15775369774_2b1b61675b_b.jpg

I'm not overly keen on the first one but the B&W photo you posted looks great!

TBH I think your mono image is much more powerful and better balanced. BTW I wasn't objecting to the vignette, but it made the right side too dark - unhelpful negative space - hence why I was suggesting restoring some of the details there to lead the eye to the pool.

FWIW the monitor I'm viewing it on now is uncalibrated and over-bright, and that original image looks much better on that.

Last edited:
Brian;

Excellent captures, I think I prefer the colour, superb compositions and talent! Which camera/lens were used in the execution?

I know Helen's Bay ok, I'm an ex Carrickfergus man myself now living in bonnie Scotland.

Lovely viewing your work.

Regards;
Peter

Thanks for the kind words Peter, all taken with a recently acquired Canon 5D III and 17-40mm combo, I reckon it's a bit more dramatic using a wider focal length with this type of thing!

You're not anything to Eddie McCullough from Carrick by any chance? Lovely part of the world over in Jockland too!

Back