help needed with a 2nd hand lens please

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I could do with some help with a 2nd hand lens I bought last weekend. Its a 17 to 40mm f4 L and its on a canon 30d body. I've taken about 20 to 30 photos with it over the last week and its worked fine, tried to use it this afternoon and it will not work when the lens is in AF mode. The camera will not focus, no motor movement at all and the shutter won't fire. The focus indicator in the viewfinder is flashing rather than constant.

If I switch the lens to MF mode then the shutter releases instantly. Also tried it with another lens and it focusses and fires as normal.

Is this likely to be an issue with the contacts or the AF motor in the lens, as I cant see how its the camera body if that's working well with other lenses?

I'm going to pop back to the shop I bought it from last weekend and see what they say, but just wanted to check if there are any known issues with the 17-40L failing like this?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Oh dear :-( do shops have to warranty used goods I.e. fit for resale etc.

They are a very good local shop that I've used a few times, just wondering if I'm relying on their goodwill or if there's a couple of months warranty on shop sales?

Depends on the shop, pop in there and see what they say. People told me I had no right to a refund when my lens failed 2 weeks after your meant to report faults but I was still able to get a refund.

I'm hopeful they will sort it, they've been very good in the past. I'll see what they say tomorrow. Thanks for the replies

I think all shops nowadays have to offer some g/tee on s/h goods,the minimum is 60 days,but most good camera shops its around 6mths,some up to an year :)

I have lots of 17-40s and they're very reliable lenses. No issues that I'm aware of.

Before you take it back to the shop, clean the contacts thoroughly on both the lens **and the camera** and try again. Dirt or corrosion on a contact can cause AF problems.

went back to the shop today and asked them to try the lens on another body. it was focusing but very slowly and intermittently so they replaced the lens without question :-D

I did check the contacts and everything looked shiney and bright, both on the lens and camera so didn't try cleaning them.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
went back to the shop today and asked them to try the lens on another body. it was focusing but very slowly and intermittently so they replaced the lens without question :-D

I did check the contacts and everything looked shiney and bright, both on the lens and camera so didn't try cleaning them.

Thanks for the help :)

That's good news and sounds like you were worrying over nothing (like we all do :) )

Glad they sorted it out straight away, for me, this gives me more confidence in the shop and I'd happily return again...

Back