Help Needed with Sigma Lens Problem Please

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just been out with my camera to get some bird shots, and after taking 2 photos with my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens it's decided to have a funny one on it.

It's coming up on my display where your F-stop normally is just showing "F--". It stopped auto-focusing all of a sudden just before this happened.

I only bought it in April, brand new, not sure if there's anything I can try with it. Can anyone help :help:??

I've just tried my kit lens (18-105) and that seems to be working fine so it's not my camera.

Alison :)

Hum sounds like maybe the appeture blades have jammed? If you bought it new in april you should still be well under sigmas warranty

Have you tried cleaning the contacts? It sounds like the camera just doesn't recognise a lens is there.

Chris

Edit: I wouldn't have thought it was aperture blades getting stuck, the camera would probably report an error in that case (at least it does on a Canon, not sure about Nikon). Not getting any info about the f-number to me says camera and lens not talking to each other.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts? It sounds like the camera just doesn't recognise a lens is there.

Chris

Edit: I wouldn't have thought it was aperture blades getting stuck, the camera would probably report an error in that case (at least it does on a Canon, not sure about Nikon). Not getting any info about the f-number to me says camera and lens not talking to each other.

:agree:

I had a similar problem with an old lens I occasionally use, no AF and the f error showing, I used an alcohol wipe to gently clean the lens contacts, its worked fine since.

Worth a try first to see if it does the job

Allan

Ahh my mistake, usually when it doesnt recognize a lens it comes up with "No lens attatched" or it did on my d60 never had a problem on the 200 so im not sure

Hum sounds like maybe the appeture blades have jammed? If you bought it new in april you should still be well under sigmas warranty

Chris

:agree:

I had a similar problem with an old lens I occasionally use, no AF and the f error showing, I used an alcohol wipe to gently clean the lens contacts, its worked fine since.

Worth a try first to see if it does the job

Allan

I agree with contact cleaning, I had similar problems with my sigma 10-20, and after several bashes at cleaning the contacts, its been fine since.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've just tried using a standard wipe (bit like a baby wipe type of thing) on the contacts but it seems like all the wipes I've got are alcohol free - does that matter? It hasn't made any difference.

I just don't understand it - one minute it was working fine, then the next minute it just wouldn't autofocus :shrug:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've just tried using a standard wipe (bit like a baby wipe type of thing) on the contacts but it seems like all the wipes I've got are alcohol free - does that matter? It hasn't made any difference.

I just don't understand it - one minute it was working fine, then the next minute it just wouldn't autofocus :shrug:

You do have it set to minimum aperture on the lens, if the aperture ring has become unlocked and moved it will throw up an f error.

You do have it set to minimum aperture on the lens, if the aperture ring has become unlocked and moved it will throw up an f error.

Ok, am I being a numpty Martyn - where is the aperture ring on this lens :thinking:

right near the body......... says A,22,11 etc etc.........

set it to A

Ok, am I being a numpty Martyn - where is the aperture ring on this lens :thinking:

From the photo, it does not have one (same as the Nikon G series) so ignore the "check lens set at min aperture" advice ... sorry.

Try cleaning the contacts using a pencil rubber (a gentle wipe with it) rather than a wipe. Check all the switches on the lens, operate them a couple of times to make sure they have not stuck in an "in between" position.

If it is still a problem, sorry to say it is back to Sigma, may be worth ringing their service department, to see if they can offer any help.

From the photo, it does not have one (same as the Nikon G series) so ignore the "check lens set at min aperture" advice ... sorry.

Try cleaning the contacts using a pencil rubber (a gentle wipe with it) rather than a wipe. Check all the switches on the lens, operate them a couple of times to make sure they have not stuck in an "in between" position.

If it is still a problem, sorry to say it is back to Sigma, may be worth ringing their service department, to see if they can offer any help.

Hi Martyn

Just tried the pencil rubber, no joy. Just rang the shop I got it from and I've got to send it back to them.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Alison :)

Back