Help with lens / stepping rings issue please

Name
Sharon
Edit My Images
Yes
I need some advice from and I know that you are a knowledgeable bunch so thought I’d ask here before I take a trip to Jessops and ask them.

My husband has bought me a Opteka Semi Fisheye 0.35x macro lens as part of my birthday present which arrived this morning (I didn’t know he had bought it for me). Now I have gone to put it on my Canon 40d and it doesn’t fit :shake: I think my other half got confused as I he also bought me some filters which were 67mm to go on my 17 – 85mm lens.

Basically looking at the information that has come with the fish eye lens the mount thread is 52mm. I’m assuming that this attaches to the front of another lens? The two other lenses I own have filter diameters of 67mm and 58mm and I am using a Canon 40d. So I need to buy a stepping ring (I think?).

I’ve had a look at them but which way round do I get it? I’m assuming that when they refer to the female end they mean the receptacle and when they refer to the male end they mean to end which attaches onto it? So if that is right I’d need a 52mm male and 58mm or 67mm female ring? I just want to check I’m getting the right thing before I try getting one.

Will they sell these at Jessops or can anyone suggest somewhere to get one from.

Thanks for your help :)

Not sure you are going to be able to step one of these down... due to the field of view...

You'd need a 67 to 52mm step down ring... its more common to step up from 52mm to 67mm not the other way round.

Oh no that is what I was worried about :(

This is what it says in the instruction/information leaflet

Opteka conversion lenses are designed to fit directly onto digital cameras with 52mm diameter filters thread. It can also be used on different lens diameters by using suitable stepping rings (including 52 – 58mm rings)

hard to say but I suspect stepping down from 67mm to 52mm is going to cause the ring to appear in the image at some focal lengths. You might get away with 52 to 58mm. Very hard to say I'm afraid!

...and to answer your other question, Jacobs normally have the other way round, step-up rings so they'd be worth a try.

Warehouseexpress have a good selection.

Back