Help with my situation please

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I have a wedding to photograph which is pretty dark so I expect higher ISOs than normal etc but the problem I have is how to approach the wedding with the equipment I have. I have invested in pocket wizards (TT5s and the mini TT to control my 580ex and 430exs) off camera but should I leave a flash on my camera and lose the ability to quickly change the power output from my pocket wizard device on all the flashes? or keep all the flashes off camera and position them where needed for each shot?

I shoot alone so the thought of moving the flash on a stand off camera all the time seems a bit much but does offer the better light. I can then control the output of all the flashes from my camera which I love. I just wonder what other people are doing or if they have overcome this issue in some way. I shoot with a canon 5d mmii and 1 of my flashes will have a rogue flash bender attached to soften the light.

My main thoughts are on the ceremony itself if all the lights are off camera - will I lose a precious shot while moving a light?

Any advice much appreciated
Thank you

Personally I would keep it as simple and quick as possible, I would stick with the on camera flash and use the flash bender or bounce of ceilings if possible.

I've never yet shot a wedding where I was allowed flash never mind a number of them on stands. To be honest I can't see that going down well with anyone including the bride and groom , if it was me , high ISO with the fastest lens I had

Thank you guys, I think I will definitely go with the easier option of using available light. It's actually a castle wedding so bouncing off of dark oak walls and high ceilings isn't really an option anyway. My 5d mkii will have the 24-70 2.8 II on it so it should be more than adequate to deal with this scenario. I'm always interested in what other photographers might do in certain scenarios if they had access to the kit I have. Thanks again

with the 24-70 and 5d mkii at ISO 1600 everything should come out more than good enough.

Have you thought about hiring a lens for the day? I did this with the sigma 35mm 1.4 its a great lens for inside church/castle for weddings.
I used it on my 5d mk1 with great results, ISO isnt as great on the mki as the mkii so helped me out keeping the ISO down.
I also had the older 50mm 1.4 version on my 1dmk3 for the closer shots I wanted.

Love my primes :)

I did my brother's wedding in a dimly lit venue recently, with a 5D2 and 24-70 II, it's a fantastic combo. Didn't even need to think about flash once, but had my 430exii in the bag just in case.

Do what I did, and many others do, and get yourself to the venue at some point before the wedding. Speak to the staff, get an idea of the lighting and so on. Take practice shots where there's no pressure to keep up with the wedding itself!

Back