Heritage trains

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst obviously this evokes memories of steam trains, more increasingly the category also includes first generation diesel locos.

13rn6q.jpg

My son is dwarfed by a replica broad gauge 'Iron Duke'
13rn6t.jpg

Handheld at 25mph, 1/30sec
13rn6n.jpg

EE Type 1 D8188 at the Severn valley
13rn6o.jpg

A pan at 1/50sec of the same loco later in the day

Purely from a photographic point of view I'd comment as follows.

#1 - what is this a picture of? the train or your son? If it's the train you've spoiled it by having your son in it and if it's your son he's nothing like big enough to be the main subject.

#2 - quite like that, were you leaning out the window?

#3 - decent shot as well although a slightly lower viewing point would be better IMO

#4 - not really liking this, for a pan it's not really showing enough movement and apart from that it's just a train in the middle of a photo

At least your taking photos though :)

To answer in order, #1 shows a long defunct gauge of train the was pioneered by the Great Western Railway under Brunel, the trains ran on rails spaced 7ft 0+1/4in apart as opposed to todays 4ft 8+3/4in. Consequently, the trains were a lot bigger, in terms of both width and height, so I took this shot as a comparison in size between my son, who is tall for his age, and the replica steam engine.
#2 was took out of the window of the train, the idea being to show motion of the train.
#3 if I would have took it from a lower vantage point, all of the clutter and vegetation infront of the locomotive would have made the wheels and bogies largely disappear.
#4 I'm not really sure what else you would like to see involved in the pan really, it's a train in the countryside, by that's where they tend to be found.

Definitely liking the shot of the 'Rat' (y)

I'm not a diesel lover, but I do tend to take the early ones. Nice shots. How lovely it would be to see that beast in number one running on a line of some sort. Thanks for sharing.

Back