He's gone and done it again! - Excellent CHEAP CPL filter.

Well according to my ebay purchase the CPL was purchased on 24th, dispatched on 26th and it's turned up today, 28th. I ordered a 52mm for my Fuji 35mm and I must say I wasnt expecting the delivery to be so quick, well impressed and thanks Phil for the heads up.

You ordered one for your 35mm aswell?

Both 35 and 56, might as well when they are that cheap, I have a drawer full of filters in various brands/sizes from B+W to Sigma. It seems amazing that I always end up getting lenses with varying filter sizes!

Both 35 and 56, might as well when they are that cheap, I have a drawer full of filters in various brands/sizes from B+W to Sigma. It seems amazing that I always end up getting lenses with varying filter sizes!

Hopefully the XT will keep you occupied and resist the urge for changing for a while. I was going to say, sell the other filters but they may come in handy in a few months;)

I have never used a CPL before so I wasn't ready to shell out good money for one, as for the price, to me it's a non brainer.

Last edited:
Hopefully the XT will keep you occupied and resist the urge for changing for a while. I was going to say, sell the other filters but they may come in handy in a few months;)

I have never used a CPL before so I wasn't ready to shell out good money for one, as for the price, to me it's a non brainer.

CPLs are well worth it imo but i just spent 60 quid on 2 nds and didnt want to spend any more on filters.

Last edited:
Ordered 22nd, still no sign of!

Mine are past the delivery estimate now :( and I received an email basically saying, they are on the way but please don't complain about us to Ebay if they are late, or leave negative feedback etc. As they are so cheap I don't mind waiting longer, but why not be honest about how long it will take in the first place?

How long has it taken others to get their orders?... and are they really coming from Portsmouth?

My one arrived on Friday, ordered on Sunday, not had a chance to try it yet.

My two arrived today, and though I've only had a little play with them I am delighted... for the money they seem remarkably well made, and packaged. I also had made contact will the seller, as they were past the latest delivery estimate, and he sent a very helpful message, seemingly genuinely concerned they had not arrived; he asked me to give them one more day, before sending replacements or a refund, so you can't ask for a fairer response.

A lot of reading and learning to do on how to use a CPL, but here is a quick one from this evening. :D

CPL_Test by SEP9001, on Flickr

i have a sigma 70-300mm which is 58mm and a nikkor 50mm 1.8 which is also 58mm if i order 1 will it fit both or do i need to get one for each brand?
i also have the 18-55mm kit vr kit lens which is 52mm so will order a seperate one for that.

also is it worth getting a few uv filters?

cheers all

thanks phil

think i will order one then
is it ok for me to link to the one on ebay just to make sur i order the correct one?

I gave both of mine a proper try today and have concluded they are junk sadly. I know they are cheap and you get what you pay for, but doing a comparison with no filter and one of these is startling, as the results are so awful... Using my Canon 70-200mm F/4 L (on a 70D) using a fixed position on a tripod it was clear (or not
clear.png
) even in the viewfinder, just how soft these make make the image. Using a wider lens was not quite so bad, but the difference is still noticeable even in the viewfinder, making them unusable.

I may keep the cases, but the filters are going in the bin.

100%+ crops... Without
hPOEw.jpg

With
7Efz.jpg

Last edited:
Urrh that's gross. So not so good when using with a longer length...

Indeed... I must say I am very disappointed, though considering the cost I probably should not be. I would not normally use a polariser on the focal length above, but it does highlight the problems these filters present... on my Sigma 10-20mm they use usable, but I can still see the degradation when looking closely, which is a shame.

So, the question is... at what price point (and brand) can you can a decent polariser?

I also compared with a Hoya Skylight (1A) Filter, and that was almost indistinguishable from using no filter.

I tried mine on my Nikon 28-300 (which is sharper than my 70-300VR) and I've not yet got around to looking at it on full screen but on chimping I could see some softening but not to the extent seen above. Also got a slight blue cast.

mine came today

just watched a video on how to use them and what they do, not used it yet but looks excellent

just picked up a jacobs digital Superslim CPL 67mm for £12 ( including delivery ) from a guy who has stock of them ( he sells on ebay for around £16 but mention DPreview and he does them for £12. arrived within 2 days of ordering and have to say excellent quality. Looks like they retailed around £70 at the time from jacobs before they went into liquidation.

if interested pop me a pm and i'll pass the contact details over.
the model is this one and comes in all sizes

67mmcpl.jpg

Indeed... I must say I am very disappointed, though considering the cost I probably should not be. I would not normally use a polariser on the focal length above, but it does highlight the problems these filters present... on my Sigma 10-20mm they use usable, but I can still see the degradation when looking closely, which is a shame.

So, the question is... at what price point (and brand) can you can a decent polariser?

I also compared with a Hoya Skylight (1A) Filter, and that was almost indistinguishable from using no filter.

£50-£75 upwards in 77mm for a good quality multi-coated polariser.

just won a jacobs pro cpl on fleabay for £4.. already have one on my 10-18 and works great. got this one for my 28-105
bonus!

Back