He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy - New auto adapter for reversed lens

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out this eve with the new adapter I bought for my reverse setup..

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/canon-eos-auto-focus-reverse-lens-adaptor-5904-p.asp

Not yet convinced on it though as the coiled cable is annoying as it pulls the lens once it is turned... I have tried stretching it out and sure it will loosen in time.

Also due to the adapter at back and front I tended to bash into the object I was shooting (this did settle by end of shoot). Though it does add a tube effect just like my 52-58mm + UV Filter did on my non auto reversed setup. Another thing is light as I'm now not putting it directly in front of the backend of the lens instead a bit further forward (in essence a small lens hood) not sure my lighting setup is the best for it.

If you know the ID's let me know the first 4 in particular.

1. he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3068-09
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3073-14
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3078-18
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. The Belly of the beast...

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3080-19
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. Scene width at 18mm (infinity focus) Entomobrya intermedia

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3061-04
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Scene width at 18mm Nearest focus Entomobrya intermedia

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3062-05
by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. Orb Weaver.
Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3052-02 by bthomas124, on Flickr

8. This one annoyed me as it was whilst I was getting used to focusing close so got this fired off before it disappeared... Bejeweled wasp

Reverse 18-55mm Adapter-3054-03
by bthomas124, on Flickr
Full set on flickr TAGs verify shot with adapter.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

Last edited:
Amazing work Bryn that setup definitely works really well

1,3,5,7 for me, love those and the life of brian joke made me chuckle :) I need to dust off the DVD and watch that, been a few years since I last seen it.

Glad to see you're still taking macros (y)

Why reverse it? Why not just extend the distance from the body?
Steve.

Higher magnification than tubes... tubes mean you have to get very very close to subject. Tubes suffer from light bounce hence get misty images. The list goes on and on. :)

I see the break from Macro is going well... :rolleyes:

Really really like #1. The flare from the purple flower (assuming it's a flower!) works really well for me. You've done a top job!

Thanks David.
I supposed to be writing up a guide to macro so can't not shoot that way can I.... giving myself more time though and not replying as much on here.

Thanks @Carlh @LCPete

Higher magnification than tubes... tubes mean you have to get very very close to subject. Tubes suffer from light bounce hence get misty images. The list goes on and on. :)

But reversing doesn't change the Dioptre power of the combined elements in the lens. All it does is move the optical centre away from the body.

A 50mm lens is 20 Dioptres whichever way round it is. The light doesn't know it's going the wrong way!

I suppose there is some advantage if you can get closer to the rear element than the front but I would have thought it was a marginal benefit.

Steve.

But reversing doesn't change the Dioptre power of the combined elements in the lens. All it does is move the optical centre away from the body.

A 50mm lens is 20 Dioptres whichever way round it is. The light doesn't know it's going the wrong way!

I suppose there is some advantage if you can get closer to the rear element than the front but I would have thought it was a marginal benefit.

Steve.

I get 4X magnification from my reverse setup with tubes it worked out at 2.5x and couldnt use the 18 mm end of kit as would be focusing inside lens. Tubes also means more cumbersome and introduces issues with lighting. Need to be able to put light source further away from body messes with overall balance of camera.

Excellent work Bryn :)

I get 4X magnification from my reverse setup with tubes it worked out at 2.5x and couldnt use the 18 mm end of kit as would be focusing inside lens. Tubes also means more cumbersome and introduces issues with lighting. Need to be able to put light source further away from body messes with overall balance of camera.

Perhaps it's because the lens is a telephoto design (Shorter than its actual focal length).

Steve.

Great set and unbelievable for the kit you use. Definitely inspires me to try more.

#7 I would have printed on a massive canvass in a heart beat. I think If I did that though the Mrs would be filing for a divorce :rolleyes:.....*Print me one* lol

Great set and unbelievable for the kit you use. Definitely inspires me to try more.

#7 I would have printed on a massive canvass in a heart beat. I think If I did that though the Mrs would be filing for a divorce :rolleyes:.....*Print me one* lol

Pmsl

PM address and it's on its way lol. 60 inch canvas on my wall already. ;)

Last edited:
Back