Hi folks - Anything out there to allow a camera body to clamp to both a 200PL-14 and a 410 PL?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,
Long time no speak, had a hard season but coming out the back of it now and have more time.

I am going to climb Helvellyn on Sunday as I want a good image of Striding edge.

I normally carry a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with a 405 geared head. This uses the 410PL plate and is always atatched to my 5D3.

However, given the weight of the above combo, I have treated myself to the new BeFree Carbon travel tripod especially for the helvellyn climb and wonder, since I now have two tripods that will get around 50% use each (I climb a lot) it would be great to have a plate on the camera that uses both the 410PL and the BeFree's 200PL-14.

Is this possible?

it seem to me thee heads are incompatible.
However if you can fit the manfrotto 394 adapter to the befree head plate it would be job done, but extra thickness and weight.
It would be better still if you could mount the 394 Adapter permanently in place of the existing one on top of the ball head stem. to replace the 200pl style one.
This could hardly be difficulty for any tool shop engineer to do.

You can of course remove the head entirely with the 1/2 " thread and replace it.

i think you can get arca swiss + manfrotto plates, and you can get arca swiss clamps cheaply

your best bet might be to search ebay (include worldwide) and see what you find

Hoppy's answer is what I've done - the easy way! I have the adaptor fixed to the QR plate that came with the 410 head so I can use the same QR plates (RC2/200PL) across all my supports. Does add a few ounces to the tripod and a cm or 2 to the length. Have considered the Arca system but it seems a bit slower and the Manfrotto system is good enough for my needs (and wants!)

Thanks guys, will google a little more and see what options I can find.
I was hoping someone offered a QR plate that had been designed to clamp into either clamp type, but they would have been too easy I guess. LOL.

Quick thought - the 410PL has a 1/4" threaded hole in its base so you could leave that on the camera and just attach the 200 plate to that using the normal screw. Just take it off again when you want to use the camera on the gear head.
Only potential issue is that the hole is towards the edge of the 410 plate so might not be too good for heavy gear - but depending how you want to use it then it might be a quick and dirty option.

You know mate, I think your right, I had totally overlooked that possibility!
Will report back when if arrives! Thanks.

Quick thought - the 410PL has a 1/4" threaded hole in its base so you could leave that on the camera and just attach the 200 plate to that using the normal screw. Just take it off again when you want to use the camera on the gear head.
Only potential issue is that the hole is towards the edge of the 410 plate so might not be too good for heavy gear - but depending how you want to use it then it might be a quick and dirty option.

You were absolutely right mate, thank you, that quick and dirty option works just fine.
But I have decided in my quest to bring my backpack down from 16KG to under 5kg for big climbs like Sundays, that I will just remove the battery grip at times I deem the larger Carbon Manfrotto too heavy to carry as the BG weighs about 1lb too, and screw the 210 straight to the camera.

Last edited:
Let me know how you get on with the weight reduction - been trying to do that for ages and failing miserably :)

I converted all my ball heads to take the 200pl. Most were just a case of unscrewing, others needed some engineering and 3d printing but now my camera, large lenses etc are all fittled with the 200pl qr plate and all tripods have the holder. So much easier.

Back