Beginner Hide recommendation east lancs

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Not done much nature photogrpahy.. very little.... Keep seeing pics from a hide (down souf) and thought it might be a good idea to give it a go

I am in east lancashire.. no idea whats about.. also is there a good/bad time of year?

ta :)

ADDYONBIT Beginner in nature photogrpahy not actual photogrpahy :)

Last edited:
Not my locale but for unknown areas I think the local wildlife trust reserves are always a good starting point

I also found this one of potential interest

For fear of stating the obvious......be prepared to spend 3-4 or more hours in a hide......wildlife can be/is unpredictable in regard to when species will appear.

Winter into spring is a worthwhile time to get your eye in for understanding what you are seeing and it's behaviour.

Enjoy your time in photographing a subject area with its own challenges :)

If you have a garden, even a small one, put out a feeder and a nice perch and the birds will come. Cheap way to stick your toe in the water to see if you like it. Lots of YouTube about garden bird photography. Sorry don’t know east Lancashire for hides

Tony, what floats your boat....what would you like to make images of in nature.lol I know ya likes fishes, salmon were it not?

Seriously though a hide would not be me starting point, something of interest would be and I'd then learn what that bird or beastie does and THEN work out how to put me and that together.

tony nature toggin can be train spotting, but the real images images come( bar chance) much easier when ya know a little about your subject.

Put it this way you got way better odds of small boys in the park if you are there at kick off rather than a couple of hours later ;) Nature ain't so different

For fear of stating the obvious......be prepared to spend 3-4 or more hours in a hide......wildlife can be/is unpredictable in regard to when species will appear.

Winter into spring is a worthwhile time to get your eye in for understanding what you are seeing and it's behaviour.

Enjoy your time in photographing a subject area with its own challenges :)

Cheers will check the links.. yeagh I thought it would be a bit like fishing.. a lot of waiting for a good shot :)

Tony, what floats your boat....what would you like to make images of in nature.lol I know ya likes fishes, salmon were it not?

I ahve been seeing some nice pics from hides and though to give it a go... did the salmon leaping enjoyed that.. did the dolphins up in scotland... so i thought birds maybe.. soewhere i have a decent chance of a shot

Seriously though a hide would not be me starting point, something of interest would be and I'd then learn what that bird or beastie does and THEN work out how to put me and that together.

But surely a hide cuts all that out.. I only want a taster a day out.. not go on a course :)

For just basic birds - Marton Heath Trout farm is good, Macclesfield, about an hour from you.

Leighton Moss RSPB is up the M6

Martin Mere isn't too far away.

For something a bit more predictable and you don't mind paying - Scottish wildlife hides with Alan who used to be on here

red kites around 2pm every day at Muddy boots cafe - just chuck some chicken on the nearby roofs!

Mike

For something a bit more predictable and you don't mind paying - Scottish wildlife hides with Alan who used to be on here

Predictable is what i was looking for hence the hide and to be honest.. I thought you had to pay for them all ?

red kites around 2pm every day at Muddy boots cafe - just chuck some chicken on the nearby roofs!

this looks proper... thanks

Brockholes? I went there a few years ago, but didn't spend much time birdwatching as I was having a good catchup with one of the wardens, who is a friend I hadn't seen for a few years.

Brockholes? I went there a few years ago, but didn't spend much time birdwatching as I was having a good catchup with one of the wardens, who is a friend I hadn't seen for a few years.

Brockholes?

Sorry I dont understand ?

If it's possible for you, I'd suggest putting some feeders up in your garden and putting some perches alongside them. The birds will come and it will get your eye in so to speak. I understand though, that not everybody has a suitable garden for this.

There are a lot of hides at nature reserves, sometimes free, or available for a small charge, a few pounds or so. If you have or get an RSPB membership, this usually allows free access to any of their hides.

I've been to Alan's (as suggested by Mike) a few (3) times and it's not cheap but you are virtually guaranteed shots of targeted species. That said, Alan's prices are very competitive in relation to other hides of the same quality. If it's a paid hide day you're after, I'd recommend Alan's.

I've not been to a paid hide myself for sometime now as I'm fortunate enough to be able to do it myself but paid is a quick and easy way of getting shots.

I've not been to a paid hide myself for sometime now as I'm fortunate enough to be able to do it myself but paid is a quick and easy way of getting shots.

Thats what I was originally looking for.. I didnt want to take it up as a photogrpahic journey so much as just wanting to ..give it a go.. so to speak :) so a good paid one might be a good idea

but saying that.. brockholes that @Wowbagger suggested is quite close so going to pop along next week :)

Now I know a bit more Tony, Mike's red kite spot seems right up your street.. they will be there at feed time and with your skills I honestly think you will have a ball....I wasn't trying to send ya on a course bud mind that did make me giggle (y) trying to find out what had peaked your interest. We have lots of different types of birds ,so there iisn't a one size fits all answer.

Tony ya can spend hours in a hide and never get a photo op............some hides are fed ,folks often call it baiting and hence birds not only get used to the food IE turn up, but also to the togs.

Hides take many forms mate most at wildlife reserves are for bird watchers, or better put don't always present the best photo ops,IIE POV often too high ,say water birds or simply birds are too far away, even with big lenses.

I honestly think Mike's red kite spot would be right up your street they are amazing on the wing so will test you are stunning and colourful and like as not they will show up so you will have some fun

all the luck

Now I know a bit more Tony, Mike's red kite spot seems right up your street.. they will be there at feed time and with your skills I honestly think you will have a ball....I wasn't trying to send ya on a course bud mind that did make me giggle (y) trying to find out what had peaked your interest. We have lots of different types of birds ,so there iisn't a one size fits all answer.

Tony ya can spend hours in a hide and never get a photo op............some hides are fed ,folks often call it baiting and hence birds not only get used to the food IE turn up, but also to the togs.

Hides take many forms mate most at wildlife reserves are for bird watchers, or better put don't always present the best photo ops,IIE POV often too high ,say water birds or simply birds are too far away, even with big lenses.

I honestly think Mike's red kite spot would be right up your street they are amazing on the wing so will test you are stunning and colourful and like as not they will show up so you will have some fun

all the luck
Yes, from limited experience, hides vary in what one might photographically speaking. But know of one local nature reserve where they have put kingfisher perch(es) up in close'ish proximity to one hide and a bit further out near another one.

So, some exploration and chatting with locals, guides & rangers can yield some 'locals' insights.

The one thing that I have noticed on occasion was, even amongst photographers, was poor hide etiquette i.e. talking too loudly and not respecting either the birds (they do have ears !) or other none clique group incomers :(

In regard to Red Kites and feeding......I have mixed views.

The likes of Gigrin Farm and the mid Wales location are supporting the population but I read of one location somewhere in Bucks that is in effect a roadside cafe that feeds them purely to draw visitors in.

Plus in Marlow area some householders have been feeding them in their gardens and 'caused' a change in their behaviour such that population growth and spread has been impacted.

@KIPAX wherever you decide to go I hope you enjoy the experience and learn about the subject species :)

In some sites, the red kites can be remarkably bold. The White Farm camp site near Watlington (Oxfordshire) really is Red Kite Central. I was there a few years back and one day a bloke had his burger stolen from out of his hand. When we were packing up camping, a kite flew down and nicked a buff and a gilet from a friend of mine (they were lying on a groundsheet as she was packing up) and flew up into a tree with them. I think she got one back, but not the other.

I was there with another group anout 10 years back. My son was flying his drone and taking some footage, and a kite came very close to the drone. He wasn't looking to take pictures of the kites, but just to make a video of the camping weekend - it was the weekend of the naming ceremony of the young daughter of friends.

Yes, from limited experience, hides vary in what one might photographically speaking. But know of one local nature reserve where they have put kingfisher perch(es) up in close'ish proximity to one hide and a bit further out near another one.

So, some exploration and chatting with locals, guides & rangers can yield some 'locals' insights.

The one thing that I have noticed on occasion was, even amongst photographers, was poor hide etiquette i.e. talking too loudly and not respecting either the birds (they do have ears !) or other none clique group incomers :(

In regard to Red Kites and feeding......I have mixed views.

The likes of Gigrin Farm and the mid Wales location are supporting the population but I read of one location somewhere in Bucks that is in effect a roadside cafe that feeds them purely to draw visitors in.

Plus in Marlow area some householders have been feeding them in their gardens and 'caused' a change in their behaviour such that population growth and spread has been impacted.

@KIPAX wherever you decide to go I hope you enjoy the experience and learn about the subject species :)
I'd debate all that with you mate, but not here ;) :)

Theres a few mentions of "Alans" but no indication of where or any links ?

Seen some good pictures of kingfishers around river Calder near the game cock in great Harwood, loads of places along the river Ribble or head out into forest of bowland, gisburn forest, waddington fell, trough of bowland.

Back