High end compact - which one?

Name
Denis
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd appreciate some advice please.

I'm looking for a higher end compact to supplement my Canon 40D.

Thinking about the following compacts.
Canon G10
Sigma DP2
Leica D Lux 4

I want something that I can put in my camelbak bag when out mountain biking, realise that the shutter lag will affect its performance (compared to the 40D0.

Primarily I want image quality, with a degree of flexibility. Landscape shots will be the most important criteria for this camera. I do occasionally bring the 40D in the camelbak, but its quite a bulky item to haul around.

Read most of the reviews on the web, wondered if anyone else had any real life experience of these compacts.

any reason why you aren't looking at the Panasonic LX-3 as it is essentially the same as the Leica but cheaper? It's a great camera and the only real limitation is the lack of zoom but that isn't in your criteria as far as I can see. I love mine and it gets plenty of use.

I have a Panasonic TZ6 which has a Leica lens. I find it pretty good and it's about £200.

Someone on here (can't remember who) has recently bought a Leica and i think it was the one you are looking at and the images are stunning! You pays yer money!

If you're considering the G10 then you might want to hold off for the anticipated G11 (GX1?) with larger CMOS sensor with lower pixel count....

GX1 (G10 Replacement?)
- 12mp CMOS (Larger Sensor)
- DIGIC IV
- 3″ VGA OLED
- HD Video (1080p)
- 5x Zoom
- ISO 50-3200
- Flash Shoe
- Similiar Ergonomics
- $599 USD

specs taken from http://64.13.226.237/2009/08/powershots-cr1/

I've had my G9 for around a year and it's a fantastic little camera. However, it's not without it's limitations (which the G10 doesn't seem to fix, from what I've read)...

Widest aperture is still not very wide; f/2.8 (at the short end of the zoom) just doesn't cut it for me personally. It might have been enough if images shot at anything over ISO200 weren't as noisy as they are, but that's the highest film speed I'd be willing to use as anything higher produces barely even usable shots. It does have a flash hotshoe though, so if you've got a strobe you can use that, although the camera then feels massively unbalanced.

The G9 (and G10) are great for any shots with good light though. Landscapes, portraits in sunlight, etc are all great opportunities for the camera to show themselves off. Nice and sharp images with great colour and contrast. It'll probably be great for what you'll be asking of it. I took it on a holiday to Cape Town last year and got some excellent photos with it.

After using the G9 for even a few months after buying it, I wish I'd have bought the LX-3 instead. Wider lens, wider max aperture (f/2) and less noise at high film speeds. This is purely down to the fact that most photos I take are in poor light. I'll probably be selling my G9 soon and might even get the LX-3 instead but I generally don't have the need for a compact now.

Hope this helps!

George.

You can get some very good results from the g10, which has a zoom range of 28 - 140 mm (equivalent).

If you're interested in landscapes you can buy an "adapter" which will allow you to use screw-in filters. The Canon one is cheaper and plastic and apparently doesn't allow you to us the lens at maximum focal length. I bought a metal one from a company in the US called "Lensmate" which seems to be made to very high standards. I use a polariser with mine.

Either would make the camera more bulky, however, if you leave it on permanently.

All the reviews have stated that the g10 gets very noisy at more than 200ASA. However it has built in IS, and as the sensor is very small a wide aperture will get you a very good depth of field, anyway. You may never need to use higher sensitivities.

I recently got some pics at 1/4 second (and f5.6) handheld and they are perfectly sharp!

It is actually a very complex camera, with more modes and functions than you could ever imagine. Ignore those and you should be fine.

jerry

I've got a G9 and have to say it is very noisy above 200 ASA much worse than the A710 it replaced. Below 200 however it's very good and adaptable and as I'm not a landscape fan it has a better lens range for me than the G10. I'd be very tempted by an equivalent Panasonic if I was buying again providing it's tele range was adequate.

The Panasonic LX 3 looks very good, might be tempted to get one of these.

Any comments on the DP2?

I was down to the LX3, GRD and the DP2 and opted for the LX3. Don't regret it for a second.

Back