Hired a lens for zoo trips

new2me

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I've hired the 70-200 f2.8 to see if that's the way I want to go in the future, but have struggled to adjust so far. I went to Twycross on Friday as the cages and glass there would provide plenty of challenges, but the place was rammed and the kids rushing around, kicking up so much dust/sand made me worry about the lens :eek:
So I went to Hamerton and got a couple of shots through the wire I almost really like. I think the lynx dof is too shallow, but the wire would have been more obvious had I closed the aperture. The Oncilla has quite a fine meshed cage and softens the shot, but at least I got it's eyes open this time.
f2.8

f4.5

Whipsnade after work yesterday made me want more length, although with more practice I'm sure i'd get the focusing sorted and be able to crop in. Nice to get some sort of shot with the baby hippo though :D
f3.2

f3.5

Just get it, you KNOW you want one! :D

I hired a 70-200mm and bought a Sigma one within a month as it opened up so much more for me. Yes, it took a lot of getting used to, but along with my 16-85mm it is the lens of choice if I am off to many places, London, Marwell, gardens, people watching etc.

....and love the baby hippo shot! (y)

At the moment, a second hand Tamron/Sigma would be the choice for me Heather ;)

Cheers David (y) I hoped it might go outside, but alas, no.

ChrisWilson uses an 80-400 as a zoo lens - just about light enough to carry and use handheld and has the reach when you need it. He doesn't seem to have too much trouble shooting through the wire at Paignton zoo, although his preferred subjects there can be shot over water so there's no wire to worry about. Contrast and saturation which are often reduced when shooting through OOF wire fences can be boosted a little in PP but be careful not to overdo them.

Beautiful shot's of the Lynx I think the first one at F2.8 is great
Have you thought about the sigma 120-300 2.8 may be worth trying out apparently it's very good
I use a 300 2.8 most of the time sometimes with converters on normally the 1.4
I've also got a 70-200F4 and find that a lot of the time it's too short but always carry it just for when the cheetah cubs are close in:)

Last edited:
The 70-200 in one of Nikon's finest lenses and mine will take a 1.4TC and the new 2.0TC very well which makes it a very versatile lens.

excellent set but the hippo for me ,great colours and reflection well done

Cheers for the comments and suggestions folks (y)
I did consider hiring a converter too for more length, but am more interested in how I'd cope with wire and glass problems as well as indoor shots. Also, I was hoping to pop into London this week for 'street' type shots with it, so hopefully there'll be a break or two in the clouds to try that too.

There is not enough words to describe how great the hippo shot is! :D

Was going to google prices for these lenses and suggested ones but that will make me want it gotta resist the GAS urges.

Cheers Bryn (y)
I have to resist too ;)

Have to agree Neil, that hippo shot is spot on (y)

Lynx looks a tad overexposed to me

I use the Nikon 70-200 as my walkabout lens for most things, including whipsnade unless it's really bright.
can't honestly fault it and couple with the D7100 it's an awesome combination with great crop capabilities if needed.
Bit restricted ATM as one handed control of a long telephoto lens isn't easy, and I can't get the hang of the monopod

Cheers Ingrid (y)
I wasn't too sure about the lynx myself tbh.

I agree that's a cracking (1st) Lynx shot, Neil :)
and like a few others 70-200 2.8 is the weapon of choice for zoo's.
sometimes its the only way "through wire" ;)

Cheers Chris (y)
The lens does a great job, but I couldn't justify spending the money on one any time soon, especially as I'd want a teleconconverter too ;)

Cheers Chris (y)
The lens does a great job, but I couldn't justify spending the money on one any time soon, especially as I'd want a teleconconverter too ;)
Pah :p
Depends on the reach you need,
but I never use a TC on my 70-200 2.8
All my zoo shots are without.

Best bet is to ditch the Nikon, go Canon, and buy a 100-400 :D

The Lynx is gorgeous, and I think the DOF works well.

I absolutely love the Hippo shot.

Lovely set, but the same here that Hippo is gorgeous :)
Cheers Trish ... little hippo seems quite popular (y)

Here's a couple from Colchester yesterday

And decided to drop by Marwell when taking the lens back today; this leopard just wouldn't look down the lens

Another great set Neil.
I particularly love the expression in #1 (y)

Cheers Chris (y)
The keepers were in with the wolves, clearing up their poop (the wolves) ... and this wee rascal snuk over and added some more to an area which had been cleared :D

I took quite a few pics of these youngsters, but not many came out too well ... my impatience being mainly to blame :D

Cute Neil very cute, particularly the 1st and last :)

Back