Critique hirsch

Edit My Images
No
This wasn't an anticipated trip, but a flyng visit for a family funeral gave me a brief opportunity to capture some scenes of Autumn in Niederbayern.

The hirsch has become an accidental totem of mine - but I've until now I've not really captured a decent shot of one. This one is part of a farm herd and showed a remarkable degree of curiosity, approaching quite close to where I patiently crouched at the edge of the field. The sun is hard off to the left and just catching the front element beyond the in-built shade of the lens and placing a shallow flare to the right of centre. Processed starting with VSCO presets and tools in Lightroom for a deliberately hipster-ish VSCO look. I've deliberately chosen this shot with the flare and the closed-eye pose to suit the look of the processing. I know this won't be to everyone's taste.

I personally would have preferred in without that structure in the background.
Its a lovely pose though and I quite like the processing too :)

@Cobra - I'd have preferred a cleaner background, but it just wasn't available this time..

I think I still prefer the first shot I've posted as it places the stag on his own, admittedly with the man-made feed shelter behind him. But I've found some other shots looking to the left of the first that aren't suffering too much from glare..

Personally, I think the presence of the rest of the herd ditracts more from the subject than the feed-shelter does - but I know this sort of thing is very personal to the viewer.

Personally, I think the presence of the rest of the herd ditracts more from the subject than the feed-shelter does - but I know this sort of thing is very personal to the viewer.

I guess it also depends on whether or not you are trying to make the images look "natural" or not.
And / or whether the subject far out weighs the background, which of course is not always possible to avoid in captive
situations.
As you said, personal choice :)

I prefer the second of these BTW, with the herd slightly more distant. :)

Back