Hole in clamp spigot - Why?

Edit My Images
Yes
Could someone help me understand this bit of kit please?

I have the following swivel and umbrella adapter CLICK HERE If you notice on the image the top spigot has a hole through it. Whats the hole for? If I attach a cold shoe mount to the smaller of the threads and drop it in and screw it up, the screw face contacts with the bottom edge of the hole, it doesn't actually go in, plus none of the faces are flat. It seems to be a bit pointless.

The bottom spigot seems much more sensible, it has a flat machined face to allow the screw head to firmly hold the spigot in place. I don't use this one though as i can drop the clamp straight onto the Manfrotto 5001b Nano stand I'm using it with.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

The threaded hole in the spigot allows the umbrella adaptor to be mounted to a tripod.

The hole thrugh the center of the spigot isn't threaded though? Unless you're saying that you would screw the spigot straight to the top of a tripod and then poke an umbrella shaft through the hole?

Isn't it simply to put a bar through to assist the tightening of whatever you attach to the studs?

Back