Homeless Holga: Formerly "Anyone fancy trying something daft ???"

Me please, my first 120:LOL:(y)

Nick - if it comes to it, i've around 40-odd rolls of short dates in various flavours, but I'm more cncerned about the chemicals for processing. Plenty of B&W soup, but iirc, I've about 3 rolls of C41 before it's depleted, and the E6 kit has maybe another 4 - but I've a couple of rolls of E100VS earmarked for a project as soon as I can get back out and walk again, so call it 2 rolls of E6 tops.

It's bad enough asking people to pay postage on the camera, for the "privelege" of shooting a couple of frames with a toy camera, but if we're stumping up for processing as well, it's a bit of a non-starter.

Ooohh - that was awfully sensible - I think i'm due some more painkillers :LOL:

what do the processing chemical cost ? (Ive never done my own i used to use lab 35/120 in mk before i went digital) - theres no reason why you should bear all the cost of us all doing this so i'd be happy to kick in a five or a ten or so if you need to buy more gunk

incidentally what's with the painkillers - have you been using your motorbike and a transit van to demonstrate newtons second law or summat - as a fellow (ex)biker I feel your pain, it was a smidsy incident with a bmw and the subsequent broken collar bone that got me off two wheels and into four

Last edited:
Hey you forgot me on that list!

Sorry - that'd be this mornings painkillers. Mmmm Numb-eyyyy :LOL: Now re-edited to drop you in there (y)

Me please, my first 120:LOL:(y)

Sure thing Richard. I reckon we'll take first 20, then run a second list for substitutes in case people drop out, or someone else wants to take up the processing for another lap of the country.

what do the processing chemical cost ? (Ive never done my own i used to use lab 35/120 in mk before i went digital) - theres no reason why you should bear all the cost of us all doing this so i'd be happy to kick in a five or a ten or so if you need to buy more gunk

incidentally what's with the painkillers - have you been using your motorbike and a transit van to demonstrate newtons second law or summat - as a fellow (ex)biker I feel your pain, it was a smidsy incident with a bmw and the subsequent broken collar bone that got me off two wheels and into four

Pete - thats very generous, but it's not quite so simple. The processing kits for C41 and E6 are around £25-30 each, and do between 12 and 15 films before I retire the chemicals for cross-processing experiments.

The problem is, they don't just expire through depletion (i.e. the number of films processed) but they kind of die of old age as well. Last year I was out and about shooting much more film, and it was fine - this year I think I've only shot maybe half a dozen rolls of c41 and E6 since christmas. At that shooting rate, I'd not get full value out of processing my own colour stuff, so I was thinking of just going back to B&W and letting my local pro-lab take care of the colour stuff until I get back into the swing of things.

I've chemicals that are good for doing maybe 5 colour rolls for this project, and maybe another 3-4 for another job i've been putting off until I can walk 8-9 miles with the camera kit to get the shots I want. B&W film, I can happily churn out - Don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of the bottle of rodinal :LOL:

And as to the painkillers - it's the result of a over-the-bars incident with my pushbike! Clipped a stone kicked up by a wagon going opposite way, bars flicked, wheel tucked under, and I flew gracefully through the air about 9ft up, only to land flat on my right knee. The one I'd broken a fence-post with last year while on the Mountainbike!

Amazingly, nothing of mine broke, either time, though I did make a bit of a mess of the Bursa's in the knee. With the result that they now swell up like a football every time I knock the knee a bit. Landing on it from 9 feet certainly qualified. It's getting better, but Physio sessions every morning leave it feeling pretty tender in the afternoon, hence the horse-tablets they've given me!

Still - you've got to laugh, haven't you...
;)

Right you are Guy... I reckon that's a nice round 20 people. I think we'll call that the initial list then. As I said above, we can take names for a substitutes bench - who knows what some of us may be doing by the time the camera's been around 15 or so of us...

Completed Signup List...

1. Me (just to get the first couple of frames on the go...)
  2. Jim (menthel)
  3. John (JohnMc)
  4. Alan (Alan Clogwyn)
  5. Scott (walsh)
  6. Graeme (dubnut71)
  7. ped
  8. Bill (puggie)
  9. Sean (Thmaga)
  10. Andy (Andysnap)
  11. Nick (RaglanSurf)
  12. Sarah (SarahLee)
  13. Pete (big soft moose)
  14. Michael (MisterE)
  15. Rob (robhooley)
  16. rhody
  17. Superewza (if he can afford the postage costs :LOL:)
  18. Samuel (s162216)
  19. Richard (medwaygreen)
  20. Guy (Mohain)
Substitute places may be available...

1. Mart (Marvin D Martian)
  2. Johnathan (Woodsy)
  3. Chris (SparkUK)
  4. ...

Right I've had a little think about how to try this...

What I'd like is a little "controlled randomness" in the procedings. One of the joys of using Holgas is the often unexpected double exposures. So - what I propose is this. Everyone gets to shoot 4 frames. The last frame you shoot is not wound on, and the next user shoots over it. they then take 2 straight pictures, and leave another shot as their 4th frame ready to be over-shot by the following person. With 20 people, this will take up 5 rolls, and work something like this...

Travelling_Holga.jpg

Each of the colour blocks represent a different film - and i've taken the first 2 frames of the first film and last 2 frames of the last one, That way so that

1) the lucky people who get to change the rolls have the fun of shooting 2 different film media
2) if there's any extra over-shoots made, I can just drop one of my last shots
3) I get to see the cameras working at the beginning and end of the project
4) the camera comes back to me (subject to royal mail of course) :LOL:

Anyone got any suggestions, comments ??

Right I've had a little think about how to try this...

What I'd like is a little "controlled randomness" in the procedings. One of the joys of using Holgas is the often unexpected double exposures. So - what I propose is this. Everyone gets to shoot 4 frames. The last frame you shoot is not wound on, and the next user shoots over it. they then take 2 straight pictures, and leave another shot as their 4th frame ready to be over-shot by the following person. With 20 people, this will take up 5 rolls, and work something like this...

spreadsheet of organisation +1

Each of the colour blocks represent a different film - and i've taken the first 2 frames of the first film and last 2 frames of the last one, That way so that

1) the lucky people who get to change the rolls have the fun of shooting 2 different film media
2) if there's any extra over-shoots made, I can just drop one of my last shots
3) I get to see the cameras working at the beginning and end of the project
4) the camera comes back to me (subject to royal mail of course) :LOL:

Anyone got any suggestions, comments ??

Looks good to me!

Yup, sounds good. So it's 5, 9, 13 and 17 we need people who have experience with loading.

Yup, sounds good. So it's 5, 9, 13 and 17 we need people who have experience with loading.

lol - Ive got 'experience' loading - the last roll I loaded when in backwards so i got some 'great shots' onto the backing paper :bonk:

Add me to the group as well please, managed to distroy my Holga.

Mart

Add me to the group as well please, managed to distroy my Holga.

Mart

First Substitute mate, if that's okay - and conditional on not making a habit of destroying Holgas :LOL:

It may be a cheap nasty piece of plastic, but I've grown reasonably fond of it:naughty:

Just had a look and it'll probably be FP4+/Hp5+/Ektacolor Pro film - Ive got some spares short dated/OOD stuff that'll be fine for the Holga.

I suspect that 160 Ektacolor film will do just fine. But if that Holga is like my 120N, it has two apertures, f11 and f8, with single timed shutter speed of 1/100 (plus bulb). By the Sunny 16 rule it is a little over exposed for a sunny, summer day for 100 film at f11.

I suspect that 160 Ektacolor film will do just fine. But if that Holga is like my 120N, it has two apertures, f11 and f8, with single timed shutter speed of 1/100 (plus bulb). By the Sunny 16 rule it is a little over exposed for a sunny, summer day for 100 film at f11.

We don't get sunny over here though Tuco :)

There's really nothing to question - it's got 4 controls -

A light setting - bright or overcast - ascertained by looking at the floor, and if you can see your shadow, set bright on the control.

A focus ring - The finder window isn't coupled to the lens - in fact it doesn't really show anything more than an approximation of what you'll get in the picture - it's just to show you've pointed the camera in roughly the right direction. Frame your shots loosely, or risk losing parts of 'em off-frame. Focusing is by guestimate. 3 guide symbols help - a Picture of a head - for close ups (1m), a picture of 3 people side by side for typical seaside type happy snaps (3m), or a picture of a mountain, for longer focus (6m+)

A shutter release - press it and release - don't hold it down, it sometimes jams the shutter open! Once it releases, it's self cocked for another release. There is NO interlock preventing double exposures. So - if you don't want a double-ey (very spinal tapp!) Release the shutter, put the lens cap on, and wind on. DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE LENS CAP BEFORE SHOOTING THE NEXT IMAGE! I usually do at least one frame like this per roll :bonk:

A Film Winder - turn the knob, and watch the red window on the back of the camera. Stop winding when the next number comes into view.

I think even I can cope with that (I hope)

Add me to the reserves please! :)

Done (y)

I've had a first stab at a running order. It's as close as I could get to signup order, with the proviso's that a) I felt it best to have someone I knew had used 120 roll cameras for the changeovers and b) I've tried to keep our locations apart, so we didn't have 3 people on a roll, all in london, all shooting the same thing - a good suggestion from JohnMc, may I say.

Travelling_Holga_2.jpg

The names in BOLD are the lucky changeover people, who not only get the blame if they noodle the film loading, but also get to pay for 2 lots of postage - one for the camera forwarding, and the other for sending me the film.

It's only a draft, and open for discussion, this is everyone's project after all...

Just thought I had better point out that I'm not living in Nottingham at the moment (I'm a student) and am actually living near Bedford in Bedfordshire now until October. Sorry, I forgot to change my profile.

Just thought I had better point out that I'm not living in Nottingham at the moment (I'm a student) and am actually living near Bedford in Bedfordshire now until October. Sorry, I forgot to change my profile.

You're not dangerously close to London/Crawley are you? or Am I going to actually get a map out for this and re-jig things? Better still - could one of you southern shandy-drinkers sort out any potential conflict areas? I try, where-ever possible to avoid areas south of nottingham, unless on the way to devon/cornwall :LOL:

I live about 70 miles away from London so theres little chance of me just going there! I've only gone to London about twice in the last 6 years anyway.

Heres approximately where I live:

bedford_-_Google_Maps.jpeg

I have a question about the finished products, what's going to happen to the photos? I'm not asking for any back, but can I propose we maybe get them scanned and see if we can get a little book done or something? Even if it's just a £10 thing from jessops :)

Well - I was going to scan 'em, set up a on-going thread in the F&C Crit/Comments section as the rolls came in.

I will scan the shots at 2400dpi, and make them available somehow or other to the people who took the shot.

There won't actually be any "photos" - if people want the negs, then I've no problem with that, though the double exposure shots will be down to the 2 parties involved to sort out.

The book Idea's great, but to be honest, I doubt if I'll have either time or the design skills to sort something like that out. Anyone want to volunteer for that job?

I have a question about the finished products, what's going to happen to the photos? I'm not asking for any back, but can I propose we maybe get them scanned and see if we can get a little book done or something? Even if it's just a £10 thing from jessops :)

Let's not stop at producing a book, I think an exhibition in Glasgow is called for (y)

Let's not stop at producing a book, I think an exhibition in Glasgow is called for (y)

PMSL - it's a holga, with something like 17 people who've never used one behind it, and me developing the film!. It may be pushing things to get a useable frame out of the 5 rolls :LOL:

I actually went for the idea of multiple rolls after the second Travelling Lubitel ran 2 rolls and had 3 useable frames! I'd expect a bit better attrition rate, as the Holga is much easier to operate, and really, only taking a shot with the lens cap on, then winding straight on before noticing the lens cap is on is the only way to COMPLETELY mung a shot!

is the only way to COMPLETELY mung a shot!

I think you underestimate our ingenuity :LOL:

fingers in frame, strap hanging across the lens, accidental activation while pointing straight at the ground, accidental opening of the back mid roll, and of course my party trick of loading the film facing backwards :nuts: :bonk:

Looks like a good plan to me Mark, I have loaded a few 120's in my time so hopefully I won't make a duck up of it.
If we get enough useable shots for a book I don't mind taking it on, I've done about 10 books so far so it shouldn't take too long.

Andy

I think you underestimate our ingenuity :LOL:

fingers in frame, strap hanging across the lens, accidental activation while pointing straight at the ground, accidental opening of the back mid roll, and of course my party trick of loading the film facing backwards :nuts: :bonk:

Well - if you're going to go out of your way to try and do it....

Fingers in frame - lens sticks out a good inch or so from the body, and you tend to hold the bottom 2 corners with your eye to the "viewfinder" so it's do-able but unlikely

strap across lens - no strap

accidental activation while pointing straight at the ground - that's a holga "happy accident" shot! - you just say you WANTED a picture of your new Kickers ;)

accidental opening of the back mid roll - well - that's what the gaffa tape will be on there for... nothing to do with lightleak prevention, my 120GN is surprisingly good on that score.

loading the film facing backwards
- hopefully you're not loading the camera :LOL: The people I've nobbled for that duty have IIRC all either shot with and posted pictures from 120 roll loading rangefinders/folders/holgas before. It's much easier to load the Holga than, for example, my Bronny, as you know if the films in backwards because you can't see the numbers on the paper through the little red window on the back!. You also know that it's windind through and not slipped off the spool because of these numbers.

I've even come up with a solution for the lens-cap problem. Courtesy of my Production Partners, Messr's Heath and Robinson I present... The Holga Visible Lens Cap

Holga Lens Cap by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Or - more commonly, the Lens Cap with a bit of drinking straw gaffa taped to it!

I'm just north of Newcaslte, if it helps :)

On Tyne - Under Lyme - or that one in New South Wales?

Assuming it's the Tyne one...

are we talking North Shields, or Reykavik... inquiring minds need to know :LOL:

I'm afraid I dropped you and rhody at the end of the list, purely on the basis of not knowing where you were, and I was slightly worried it may turn out to be offshore. Now, actually I'd love say Javier to be in the loop on this, some shots of East L.A. in the middle of the roll would be as cool as a polar bears chuff IMHO, but it's a big ask to pay 2 sets of transatlantic postage, just for 4 frames of 120 film :shake:

Looks like a good plan to me Mark, I have loaded a few 120's in my time so hopefully I won't make a duck up of it.
If we get enough useable shots for a book I don't mind taking it on, I've done about 10 books so far so it shouldn't take too long.

Andy

I knew you'd posted plenty of stuff from folders etc, and it's just the same - apart from the need for a little bit of gaffa tape over the latches, just in case of rough handling etc. by the post office. I'll sacrifice any arty light leak fun for not loosing an entire film quite happily.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool :LOL:

Ah - that's why I don't often get it wrong then on the Holga - it's just lack of talent - First time that's been a positive for me :)

I dont think I can be held responsible for film loading/unloading?! :eek: :eek:mg: ;) So shall I load Efke ir820 with a Hoya r72 filter and remote release kit? ;)

Can't wait!! I'mnot quite Oxford any more, more Maidenhead, but I'll go and take pictures in Oxford when I'm at my folks.

Don't sweat it mate - I just wanted to get a bit of a mixture, and avoid 3 people in london all ending up on the same roll. Take the shots where-ever you like, have fun, and pass it on. Remember - the quicker everyone shoots and posts the camera, the quicker we'll see the shots. Hopefully, the people who are in charge of film changing won't object to posting the film directly back to me once it's exposed. Judging by the Travelling Lubitel, it could take a while for all 20 of us to get a shot! Even allowing 2 days in the post per person, and another 2 to shoot, that's 8 working weeks! And I just KNOW it's gonna be longer than that.

I dont think I can be held responsible for film loading/unloading?! :eek: :eek:mg: ;) So shall I load Efke ir820 with a Hoya r72 filter and remote release kit? ;)

Guy, I'm going to include all 5 rolls of film we need for the initial 20 users, so kind as your offer is, you hang on to the Efke and carry on producing those stunning pictures with it. ;)

On Tyne - Under Lyme - or that one in New South Wales?

Assuming it's the Tyne one...

are we talking North Shields, or Reykavik... inquiring minds need to know :LOL:

I'm afraid I dropped you and rhody at the end of the list, purely on the basis of not knowing where you were, and I was slightly worried it may turn out to be offshore. Now, actually I'd love say Javier to be in the loop on this, some shots of East L.A. in the middle of the roll would be as cool as a polar bears chuff IMHO, but it's a big ask to pay 2 sets of transatlantic postage, just for 4 frames of 120 film :shake:

Ha, lets say around the Four Lane Ends, Benton and Palmersville metro stations ;)

So i said 'just north of' purely because i'm not in the city itself.

Okay then people... Can I ask you to drop me a PM with your postal address, I'll maintain a central list, if I may, and we can get this show on the road. I've just dug out a box that'll hold the camera and 4 reels of film, I'm going to put a roll of Colour of some sort in there first, and get the first couple of frames shot, and get it under way, as the Weather forecast looks pretty good for next week with Jim :)

Final Film Selection made - there's 2 rolls of Pro 160, 1 roll of 160NC, a roll of Fp4+ and a roll of FP5+ - I'm gonna load one of the Pro 160's as the first film - it's down to Bill what film goes in next, and if anyone decides to donate any rolls to the cause, drop them into the box as it arrives with you - even if you're on the end of the list - if it's any sort of success, I'm happy for the Holga to keep doing the rounds :)

Back