Homeless Holga: Formerly "Anyone fancy trying something daft ???"

Well - The first roll has returned to me in todays post. I doubt if I'll be able to get it processed today (real life is definitely getting in the way at the moment) - but hopefully Should get it souped and scanned by tomorrow night :)

Has the Camera Arrived at it's next destination yet ?

See it was happy playing here with its friends before I stuffed it in a box and threw it at royal mail :)

holga.jpg

This seems like a great idea (if a little mad at the same time). I know all the slots are taken this time round, but I wouldn't mind playing if there is a round 2.

Never used one of these before.

Can't wait to see the pics....

Didn't get chance to soup the first roll today peeps :(

Hopefully I'll be able to get the C41 on the boil tomorrow morning, then get scanning tomorrow evening sometime.

Once scanned I'll stick a thread up in the Film photo-sharing section with the results if thats ok with everyone?

Right - that's the first roll souped. First Impressions ... Well - there are a few images on the roll. Difficult to tell what the double exposures will be like, but there are a few shots that you can make out - a Tree, A Crane, A Bus, A Large building. Also - it looks like someone tried to get 13 shots out of the roll (cough) Bill :LOL:

I'll leave 'em to dry while sorting a few Real-life things this afternoon and have a scan at 'em tonight :)

You can see the aperture move when you go from sunny to shady, but I wasn't 100% sure about the shutter/bulb switch, so after taking frame 12 I though I'd have a look at it while pushing the shutter to check :) You get half of my ugly mug in frame then or not??

there's a sort of swirly cloudy looking mess on the end of the frames, that's all.

As you noted, there was a distinct softness to how the film rolled. When I stripped the film from the paper in the changing bag, 2 little bits of grey foam appeared in the changing bag. I've got an awful feeling that these are the grey foam bits that sit in the back of the camera and normally keep the film rolling tight. Did you see anything like that in the camera when you swapped films Bill ?

Because if they've come adrift, the chances are the next film is going to be awfully loosely rolled, and whoever has the job of swapping films is probably going to have to remove the film and re-spool it tightly in a changing bag before sending it back to me. :( - this was why I wanted to try and ensure that the changeover people were hardened 120 shooters...

I suppose I could always send the foam bits back, with some double sided tape on ready to re-fit to the camera at changeover point as well...

if they sit in front of the film, i.e. not on the back door then I hate to inform you they were competely absent when I unloaded it, just the remnants of two bits of double sided tape on the plastic :(

I was lead to believe this was all part of the fun of Holga ownership :)

Ah - in that case they detached themselves round about frame 9-10 at a guess, and the reason that the film was rolled a little loose and spongey, was that there was 2 bits of loose sponge in the roll of film. Ah well - there's another one for the "how to kill a roll of film I suppose.

I'll send the bits of sponge and some super-strong double sided carpet tape to the next changeover person i guess. We'll just have to hope that this roll comes out okay, but I'm guessing it'll be a little loose rolled at the bare minimum.

Mark, that is just brilliant, well done to you and congratulations on a wonderful job.

Have fun Mate, at least my B&W chemicals are in a better state than the C41 ones are :LOL:

Well - after a bit of research, it seems the foam buffers detaching and getting rolled into the film spool isn't exactly a rare occurence. There's even a flickr group dedicated to the results of it!

I'm thinking that the best way of proceeding is for Andy to use the folded up film-box solution as detailed here, when it finally gets to him. I'd also suggest that he takes the film out of the camera in a changing bag and tightens the spooling, because with no drag on the film feeder reels, the film is going to be spooled looser than a loose thing. Especially after getting jolted about all over the place in the post a few times.

yay its nearly here ... i'm getting excited like a kid waiting for xmas (so excited that i nearly bought one off ebay before common sense kicked in) - can you do a bulb exposure with the holga ? (if you can i'm thinking of whacking a bit of welding glass on the front and doing at least one longy)

Mmm I haven't got a changing bag, however I know a man that does and the folded film box solution seems easy enough. Only small problem is timing, I will be going away for two weeks from the 22nd of August so I could do with it here before then or after I get back. Is this ok?

Cheers

Andy

yay its nearly here ... i'm getting excited like a kid waiting for xmas (so excited that i nearly bought one off ebay before common sense kicked in) - can you do a bulb exposure with the holga ? (if you can i'm thinking of whacking a bit of welding glass on the front and doing at least one longy)

You "can" do a bulb exposure - but there's no actual fitting for a cable release so as it stands you'd have to physically hold the shutter release lever open. Big solid tripod and you might get away with it. There are a few hacks that people have come up with to jerry-jig a release however. On the upside - this Holga's actually got a 58mm screw filter mount on there - I modd'ed it so I could use red/orange/yellow filters when shooting B&W film :)

Mmm I haven't got a changing bag, however I know a man that does and the folded film box solution seems easy enough. Only small problem is timing, I will be going away for two weeks from the 22nd of August so I could do with it here before then or after I get back. Is this ok?

Cheers

Andy

I think we may be pushing it to get it to you before you go, tbh... it's only just landed with Scott. Still - I suppose it's down to the others and their shooting schedules...

I think we may be pushing it to get it to you before you go, tbh... it's only just landed with Scott. Still - I suppose it's down to the others and their shooting schedules...

Just to put it out here I'm away from the 21st until the 10th, so if my go comes up in that time best skip me!

You're definitely safe there Sean - you're 2 places after Andy, so if it's unlikely to get to him by the 22nd, it's deffo. not getting to you by then.

Don't worry people, I'm in no great hurry to get the camera back - i'd sooner people had time to get the shots that they want (and are paying good money in postage costs for) rather than rushing things for the sake of a week or two. I certainly don't want to get into skipping people and having to re-jig things - I fully expected delays around this point for holidays, much the same as I'm expecting people taking longer to shoot as the weather gets worse - 5 rolls of film COULD take us the whole year, who knows! :shrug:

(It'll give me time to save up for some more colour chemicals anyway!)

Well Andy, I'd say it's pretty safe to say you're not going to get the camera before your trip away now - haven't heard anything from Scott since the camera landed with him on the 5th, so I reckon Graeme and Pete have plenty of time to shoot their stuff before your return (5th/6th September ??)

Yep, I'll be back home by the 5th and raring to go.

Andy

TBY, i think ill have to give you my address in Manchester for this (well, whats left of it) because im moving back for uni in september

Scott, I've PM'ed you the next address as requested. No worries about the timescale, it's more important to get the shots you want. (y)

Right ! got her this morning, just to be absolutely clear its shoot, wind on shoot, wind on shoot? and I have no idea of what the previous exposure is that I am about to go over the top of? very funky!!!!!!!!!!!

If Scott's gone according to "the program" then he's made his last shot, without winding on - counter should be on "5". If that's so, you shoot, wind,(6)shoot,wind(7),shoot,wind(8) and at that point, post the camera away to Pete :)

What I suggested last time was if you want to know what the last exposure was for the "double", PM scott and find out, but don't tell anyone on here - we don't want to ruin the surprise :LOL:

If Scott's gone according to "the program" then he's made his last shot, without winding on - counter should be on "5". If that's so, you shoot, wind,(6)shoot,wind(7),shoot,wind(8) and at that point, post the camera away to Pete :)

What I suggested last time was if you want to know what the last exposure was for the "double", PM scott and find out, but don't tell anyone on here - we don't want to ruin the surprise :LOL:

Umm - shouldnt that last one not have a wind - if dub winds after shooting frame 8 I wont have a double exposure on the begining of my set

actually it should end "...shoot,wind(8), shoot, then post... " - I forgot his last shot :LOL:

pm sent - ohh its nearly here , its nearly here ... i'm so excited i think a bit of wee might have just come out :LOL:

Hey Pete - how's it going with the plastic fantastic... i've kind of lost track of things for a while - are you ready for Andy's address yet, or has the weather been as dreich with you as it has been here?

Hey Pete - how's it going with the plastic fantastic... i've kind of lost track of things for a while - are you ready for Andy's address yet, or has the weather been as dreich with you as it has been here?

I was away from the office until today, but a suspiciously large parcel was on my desk when i came in - I presume its helga the holga but ive been so busy i didnt open it (it may also be a horses head from one of my exes ;) :LOL: ) - I'll have a look tommorow.

zap me andy's address anyway and i'll post it on as soon as i've shot my load.

edit: erm , no thats not what i meant - I know i said i was excited but not like that....

Last edited:
Gross. I don't want it now......:puke::D

Andy

Have you got the Holga yet Andy?

No mate, not been here over the weekend but I can't see anything from the PO to say they tried to deliver it.

Andy

Back