Hovers and an Ex-Honey

Edit My Images
No
Click for a larger view
Frustrating, I missed the focus on the eyes but I still like the image.

2014-4565.jpg

Better this time but perspective is a little awkward. Was unable to get a better one

2014-4567.jpg

A bit better

2014-4568.jpg

2014-4571.jpg

This one stayed for one shot and left to fly into a neighbours garden

2014-4569.jpg

I tried a rotation on this and it just looked all wrong

2014-4588.jpg

Ex-Honey Bee

2014-4616.jpg

2014-4617.jpg

Nice to see you got focus on No 2 and that one is my fav, since doing macro I am amazed at how many hovers there are. :)

Very nice set Ian, the reason you and we all like #1 and it works is because that tongue is in pin sharp focus.

Funny about the bee as I have similar shots with a wasp lol (prefer it being a wasp though) also an orb weaver got lucky and caught a huge moth that it paralised and dragged around its web the moth was so heavy it broke the web in several places. Was quite a funny watching.

I agree with Kurt as per favs.

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

I do have some shots from yesterday of a wasp in trouble. I think it managed to get away as the nearby lynx spider seemed to think better of going to wrap it up. As for spiders paralysing their prey it really is quite terrifying at how quickly they do it isn't it? Pounce, grab, inject and the victim is helpless within a few seconds. Scary.

Fantastic shots Ian - that last shot is brilliant. The spiders in my garden are getting huge - all this extra food from crane flies and the warm weather is definitely making them bigger!

#1 and #6 for me. As tintin says tongue on #1 is excellent. The wild patch of flowers (weeds) down the bottom of my garden got cleaned on weekend so other than a dying rose bush i have nothing to attract any insects. Fortunately my neighbour is back from Turkey today so im going to ask kindly if i can roam around his flower beds!

Hehe Thanks Carl, yes indeed the spiders have been much larger. Also read an article a few days back mentioning this too.

I actually have a macro video of the spider and honey that I'm uploading now. It has an entertaining little voice over by my 6 year old son with me trying to respond in some parts whilst desparately trying to hold the camera as still as possible lol. Getting a tripod in here was just not possible. As soon as it's uploaded and "processed" I'll post it here :D

Cheers Justin.

You should pop out to a local garden centre and grab some small bedding plants. There's still time for some growth yet ;)

Back