How can I connect two devices to my camera's (D700) hot-shoe?

Name
Wail
Edit My Images
No
I use the Niko GP-1 (GPS) on my camera most of the time. This has to sit on the shot-shoe socket to draw power from it.

My quandary is .. how can I possibly attach two devices (GP-1) and flash to the hot shoe?

Thanks for any help.

The Nikon GP-1 unit attaches to a camera’s accessory shoe or a camera strap via the supplied strap adapter GP1-CL1. Power is supplied from the camera.

I use the Niko GP-1 (GPS) on my camera most of the time. This has to sit on the shot-shoe socket to draw power from it.

My quandary is .. how can I possibly attach two devices (GP-1) and flash to the hot shoe?

Thanks for any help.

Morning Wail, Does it not work if it is just dangling? My GPS draws its power from the accessory socket. If that is the case then I had the idea of using a velcro patch on the side of my flash. Unfortunately my GPS does not work with my D700 only with the D200 so think I will need a new one!

I'm pretty sure it just picks up power from the lead, the hot shoe part is just storage I think, have a look and see if theres any contacts on the hot shoe mount part.

Thanks for any help.

The GP-1 only fits to the hotshoe for convenience,it also comes with part number GP-1-CL1 which is used to attach it to a camera strap (seen here holding the hotshoe cover instead)

3166861621_56fda4ed16.jpg

The GP-1 only fits to the hotshoe for convenience,it also comes with part number GP-1-CL1 which is used to attach it to a camera strap (seen here holding the hotshoe cover instead)

Oh I want one of those :)

are you sure it takes power from the flash hot-shoe ?

I am not so sure where it gets its' power from. Somehow I thought it was from the flash's hot shoe. I may well be wrong on that.

The Nikon GP-1 unit attaches to a camera’s accessory shoe or a camera strap via the supplied strap adapter GP1-CL1. Power is supplied from the camera.

This is great, I should have checked this before I posted!

Morning Wail, Does it not work if it is just dangling? My GPS draws its power from the accessory socket. If that is the case then I had the idea of using a velcro patch on the side of my flash. Unfortunately my GPS does not work with my D700 only with the D200 so think I will need a new one!

I guess I am about to find out in a couple of minutes. I will post an update once that's done.

I'm pretty sure it just picks up power from the lead, the hot shoe part is just storage I think, have a look and see if theres any contacts on the hot shoe mount part.

Good point, about the contacts, for some odd reason I just never thought about checking that, or even testing if it does work without being in the hot shoe :wacky:

Thanks Flash, but I use an Op/Tech strap; so that clamp was useless to me.

Oh I want one of those :)

If you want that clamp, I can post it to you once I am back in Saudi :p .. its' basking in the sun over there.

If you're in the market for the GP-1 that I've got, then I can try and send you one from Saudi. I bought mine there for just about £110 new from Nikon dealer. Compared to the price here, its' a bargain I thought.

If you want that clamp, I can post it to you once I am back in Saudi :p .. its' basking in the sun over there.

It would be handy thanks a lot :clap: I still use the original straps (other than the F80 as it was the only thing missing when I bought it, so I don't have a strap!)

As for the GPS I think I will do but not straight away. I will sell the GPS I have for the D200 first. It works on the D200 but not the D700.....

Yup, it works even when not mounted (y) .. there are no connections in the foot of the GP-1 ... so my presumption that the power was drawn from the hot-shoe was wrong.

Thanks for all the replies.

cowasaki,

It will be a couple of weeks before I am back to Saudi. Once I am there I will post it off to you. Personally, I will much rather use a Velcro strap to connect it to my camera's strap when I will not have it mounted on the camera.

cowasaki,

It will be a couple of weeks before I am back to Saudi. Once I am there I will post it off to you. Personally, I will much rather use a Velcro strap to connect it to my camera's strap when I will not have it mounted on the camera.

Does it not require line of site to the satellites? I am thinking some kind of doubler would be very useful because there are lots of people in that position!

Thanks very much for the adapter thing it is really appreciated.

Oh and I really LOVE the new lens. I am just looking through some of the pictures from today (I actually got out taking pictures :)). It was only Preston Docks but it was a start. I took out the F80 and the D700 so only the D700's pictures are on my computer. I will do a new thread about the new lens in a few minutes......

I think the GP-1 is a very sensitive GPS; not very good for shooting in cities :shrug:! I was in London over the weekend, and hardly of 100 shots taken, I think no more than 2 had the coordinates implanted. GP-1 just couldn't pick-up a signal :(

Mind, when I was in Saudi that wasn't an issue at all. I recon it's purely to do with the density of the buildings.

As for the adapter, don't mention it. It's not like I've got any use for it!

20mm pictures in a dedicate thread seems like a must now.

I will do a new thread with a combination of my two new cameras and the new lens. :)

Back